Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Growth Marketing Team and Growth Organization
This role sits on the Growth Marketing team and is a part of the cross-functional Growth organization at Thumbtack. You will work with a team of world-class performance, content and engagement marketers to effectively allocate a $XXM+ budget to acquire and retain customers and service providers as well as a deeply talented group of product and technical teammates
About the Role
As the first CRO hire on the Growth Marketing team, you will have the chance to establish an on-going conversion rate optimization program from the ground up. You will own the vision, strategy, and roadmap for the platform-driven CRO function leveraging tools like Optimizely, Unbounce, Google Optimize, etc. to improve conversion rate in Thumbtack’s acquisition funnels for both sides of the marketplace (customers and service providers). You will own the process for testing page design and messaging, maintain a full testing pipeline, prioritize tests, and balance test risk with potential impact.
The person in this role will be a key thought partner for, and will report to the Head of Performance Marketing. In a pivotal position within the Growth organization, you will work with talented partners across marketing, creative, engineering, analytics, and product. The right candidate will also have the opportunity to expand their scope to include content marketing early in their tenure.
- Own the vision and strategy for the platform-driven conversion rate optimization function. Define the vision for the program, lead quarterly and annual planning and build a backlog of test ideas
- Execute on the CRO roadmap with the goal of increasing form completions for demand and supply-facing landing pages. Measure results and provide analysis and insights
- Develop an experiment prioritization framework to support stakeholders across the business. Partner with growth managers to identify friction points in their conversion funnels and ensure the funnel is continually optimized. Be the single point of contact for marketing and product to intake and prioritize tests
- Define the CRO tech stack: Assess existing Thumbtack A/B testing and landing page tools and determine the right tooling for Thumbtack’s needs. Make a business case for the tools you recommend and lead implementation in partnership with the marketing technology team
- Optimize Thumbtack’s app store listings: Manage Thumbtack’s presence in App Store and Google Play Store, improving conversion and ensuring visibility in search results, working with vendors as necessary
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of professional experience and 3+ years of conversion rate optimization experience
Experience and expertise
- Extensive, hands-on website optimization experience and ready to build a CRO program from the ground up
- Well-versed in the landscape of A/B testing tools (Optimizely, Google Optimize, etc.) and have deep experience selecting and operating them. You also bring experience in other tools, including web and mobile analytics, heat mapping, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to ideate and execute complex A/B and multivariate tests for growth marketing and acquisition channels
- A strong perspective in developing a prioritization methodology taking into account the most critical factors to create high velocity of experiments designed for maximum impact
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional growth teams across Product, Design, Data, Engineering and QA, with an understanding of their roles and responsibilities as part of the conversion strategy
Mindset / motivation
- You are insatiably curious: You're not satisfied with just completing a test, you need to understand the ‘why’ behind the results and can develop insights to inform future strategy. You are a life-long learner who is passionate about staying ahead of the curve on new strategies, advertising channels, and conversion optimization techniques. You believe your abilities are not fixed and that having a growth mindset allows you to reach your full potential. You are intrinsically motivated by impact and possess a deep sense of ownership; If a problem is important, you keep working on it until it is finished even if that means advocating for resources not currently available to you.
- MBA or advanced degree
- Experience in a marketplace company and/or high-growth startup
- Experience building a CRO program from scratch
- Basic SQL knowledge
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.