Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Marketing Technology Team
The Thumbtack marketing program touches millions of customers and professionals worldwide across search, social, television and email/push marketing channels and the Marketing Technology team is responsible for the technology & data infrastructure powering the program. The team consists of highly skilled & experienced engineers and analysts who work closely with marketers to implement solutions that drive value for our customers and ultimately to Thumbtack.
About the Role
The Sr. Manager of Marketing Technology will lead Thumbtack’s marketing technology and data instrumentation strategy and execution to enable the Growth Marketing team to effectively allocate its $XXM+ budget to acquire and retain customers and service providers. The person in this role will be a key thought partner for, and will report to the Head of Performance Marketing. The primary stakeholders will be marketing leadership and channel managers and the working group will consist of marketing analysts, engineers and data scientists.
The right person for the role is comfortable working in a multi-functional setup, demonstrates a high degree of autonomy, is intrinsically motivated by the impact they have and is constantly looking for new and better ways to do things.
- Develop and own the Marketing Technology team’s strategic priorities: Partner with marketing leads to understand marketing strategies and define technical requirements. Lead quarterly and annual planning cycles, defining goals for the function and developing a product roadmap and backlog
- Execute on the marketing technology roadmap: Own the marketing tech project request pipeline - prioritizing & assigning work, and ensuring executional SLAs are met. Create project intake and prioritization process and ensure projects are well scoped
- Drive build or buy decision processes for marketing platforms and tools: Drive build or buy decisions for marketing technology, using requirements from internal stakeholders, business priorities, team capacity and budgets as inputs
- Own marketing data instrumentation: Work with engineering and analytics teams to ensure proper end-to-end instrumentation to measure and optimize to scale and efficiency (ROAS) targets Work with the Analytics and Engineering teams to make valuable data sets available and usable for channel managers and analysts
- Develop tooling and frameworks to enable rapid experimentation: Partner with analytics to develop experimentation frameworks for channel managers to quickly execute and interpret the results of experiments. Identify and implement tooling to accelerate the pace of experimentation
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of professional experience, 3+ years experience in performance marketing and 2+ years leading a cross-functional technical team
Experience and expertise
- Understanding of direct response marketing concepts, operating in a performance-oriented program constrained by ROI/ROAS, payback windows, etc.
- Experience working in an agile environment: scoping work, managing sprint capacity, and running retrospectives
- Ability to build trusted relationships across marketing teams, managing expectations and pushing back on unrealistic requests
- A comprehensive understanding of key marketing automation tools and industry best practices to support omni-channel campaigns
- Ability to communicate with teammates and stakeholders from a broad set of functions, ensuring the “why” is well understood
Mindset / motivation
- You are insatiably curious: You're not satisfied with just completing a test, you need to understand the ‘why’ behind the results and can develop insights to inform future strategy. You are a life-long learner who is passionate about staying ahead of the curve on new strategies, advertising channels, and conversion optimization techniques. You believe your abilities are not fixed and that having a growth mindset allows you to reach your full potential. You are intrinsically motivated by impact and possess a deep sense of ownership; If a problem is important, you keep working on it until it is finished even if that means advocating for resources not currently available to you.
- MBA or advanced degree
- 2+ years leading a marketing technology or marketing enablement team
- Expertise in engagement marketing (email, push, etc.) and basic SQL knowledge
- Experience in a marketplace company and/or high-growth startup and building a digital marketing program from scratch
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.