Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Role
Thumbtack is seeking an Economist, Communications & Policy to work with its Communications Team. Reporting to the Senior Director of Communications, the Economist, Communications & Policy will be a central partner to the Thumbtack executive team, policy team, research team and analytics team.
You’ll lead research and analysis for external engagement and help tell the story of Thumbtack as well as the homeowners and small businesses who use our platform through data. In this role, you will be a spokesperson on Thumbtack’s economic data and insights, sharing trends and predictions from the homeowners and local professionals we serve.
- Research and Analysis: The Economist, Communications & Policy will design, administer and analyze data, research, and surveys of the homeowners and small businesses that use Thumbtack, the home services market, the needs of small business owners, barriers to entrepreneurship, consumer trends and more.
- Generate content: The Economist, Communications & Policy will brainstorm, collaborate and write content for Thumbtack channels and external sources including blog posts, policy/economic papers, social media and visual representations.
- Annual reports: Lead planning, strategy, and creation of our Annual Small Business Friendliness Survey in partnership with our Research, Community and Marketing teams. Develop other recurring reports or public releases to invest in year over year.
- Thought leadership: Work with Thumbtack executives to develop a company perspective on current events, trends in the home, the future of work, and more.
- Cross-functional collaboration: This role will collaborate closely with different members of the Thumbtack team, including Analytics, Research, People team, and Public Policy.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8+ years working in economics, data analysis or related field (including Research Assistant work)
- Demonstrated record of publishing economic analysis and reports in policy reports, company blogs, or the press
- Knowledge of survey design and analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: this role will require writing content and explaining results to internal and external audiences
- Comfort speaking and writing publicly on data trends
- Experience creating visual representations of data to explain findings
- Demonstrated ability to self-motivate and drive projects independently as well as partner successfully with cross-functional teams
- PHD degree in economics, public policy and other quantitative social science
- Experience working in-house at a company or firm
- Experience working with communications and public relations teams
- Ability to work in a fast moving business environment
- Background in housing/home, small business, labor and urban economics or independent work economic analysis
- Past experience as a company spokesperson
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.