Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Role
Owning a home is overwhelming, but our Home Maintenance Specialists put our clients in control with tools and personalized plans to get their homes on autopilot by conducting Virtual Home Checkups. Just like folks go to the doctor to take care of their bodily health, and the dentist to clean their teeth, our Virtual Home Checkups make sure your homes are at their healthiest. The goal of these 1:1 digital consultations is to educate and direct homeowners to complete tasks within their homes to mitigate health and safety risks.
Other Details of this Position:
- This is a remote position where you will conduct Home Checkups virtually through video calls.
- This is a part-time, contract position for a pilot program.
- You must have access to a computer/laptop with a high-definition camera, microphone capabilities, high-speed internet access, and a smartphone.
- Conduct virtual home checkups on video calls with homeowners.
- Help homeowners identify and know what to do to tackle the biggest hazards around the home (fire, water, air quality).
- Tailor home maintenance recommendations for homeowners.
- Document the results of the checkup and input the details into the HomeHub (our virtual home maintenance software) to create a personalized report.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- A customer-centric mindset; you should love talking to clients and building genuine relationships.
- You’re able to adapt and problem solve as you go.
- You’re interested in and knowledgeable about the home space as well as all the components that go into creating and taking care of a property.
- You’re detail-oriented by nature; you don’t miss a beat when it comes to taking thorough notes.
- You have prior experience as a home inspector, home appraiser, in general contracting, real estate, or with home/appliance maintenance
- You're a new graduate out of school who specialized in trades, and you're looking for a role that combines your home expertise with technology.
- You have a basic understanding of major appliances, plumbing, HVAC systems, and fire safety.
- 1+ years of residential home expertise or academic equivalent; you can confidently speak to homeowners about problems, projects, and maintenance needs around the home.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.