Have you ever tried to hire an electrician or plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product designers, researchers, product writers, and design ops working closely with engineers and product managers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are engaging and useful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole. We’re user-centric, proud of our mission, and committed to inclusive collaboration and diversity in talent on our team.
About the Role
The VP, Design is the chief visionary of our product at Thumbtack. The role manages a team of dozens of Product Designers, Researchers, Writers, and Ops and works daily with our Product, Marketing, and other leaders to align the team against product and company goals. The role and the Design team it manages is the chief guardian of the user journey, the chief internal advocate for our users, and the co-guardian of our brand. This leader is a pragmatic builder but idealist at heart. The role balances infrastructure investments with business needs and sees the gaps we need filled today to enable success in 2-5 years. In addition to driving execution on the Design team and laying the foundation of our product vision, the role is responsible for preparing the team for its next stage of growth and transition. The role reports to our CEO.
- Develop and communicate inspiring, business-oriented vision for Design team and Thumbtack product
- Regularly and clearly communicate inspiring vision for future of the department and Thumbtack product to team and company.
- Drive and inspire the vision for Thumbtack’s product 2-5 years out. Build Design programs that influence the product / company direction.
- Deeply immerse yourself in company goals and business needs. Effectively translate business needs to functional plan for Design and Product Development teams.
- Balance Design infrastructure investments with business needs. Advocate for infra investments as appropriate. Balance between idealism and pragmatism.
- Work regularly and effectively with cross-functional leaders to ensure Design team is supporting Product and company goals. Share ownership of Product / company-level vision and goals.
- Drives stability, integrity, throughput of the product plan alongside execs and other product leaders.
- Be a user-centric voice of the customer, the guardian of our brand and product quality
- Be an advocate and respected voice for all things Design, brand, quality at exec-level and company-wide.
- Advance the discussion of our product vision at the executive level. Elevate the voice of the Design team company-wide. Ensure the Design team is the chief voice of the customer company-wide.
- Determine, communicate, and hold us accountable to a high product quality bar.
- Ensure Design works in lockstep with Research and Analytics to ensure our products are working intuitively for our users. Anchor your work in user-centricity and functional design.
- Architect our product development and operations so brand flows through the product and company.
- Build, grow, and manage the Design team for quality and execution
- Communicate an inspiring vision for the team and product that attracts and engages great talent.
- Be the department’s “Recruiter in Chief”. Identify a hiring plan and execute against it. Build on the strong work the Design team has done to showcase its talent, work and values to the broader Design community. Retain and reinforce the team’s strong commitment to diversity in hiring. Shape the team’s functions and experience levels to best set team up for success.
- Build systems, processes, team that allows Design to navigate company, team, and individual professional growth while maintaining strong culture.
- Set ambitious but achievable goals, inspire sense of urgency, expect high standards. Have a great nose for talent and team / individual performance.
- Organizationally savvy. Successfully navigate across our departments and drive alignment cross-functionally.
- Continually identify and fill functional and experience gaps on the team.
- Build Design team so it is positioned to drive Product vision and strategy for years to come.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Has managed a Design team at scale in a technology product
- Has a strong command of Design and product usability
- Has extensive experience working cross-functionally with a Product Development team
- Has set and built towards a Product vision many years out
- Is a clear, inspiring communicator
- Experience working in a marketplace company
- Experience managing a remote / distributed team
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.