Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Data Engineering Team
Thumbtack believes strongly that great products are built from the insights generated from great data. Our Data Engineering team works with product managers, analysts, and machine learning engineers to build robust pipelines on top of Thumbtack’s data platform, helping them build the best marketplace for customers and professionals. The team’s primary focus is on solving business problems with big data solutions.
About the Role
Thumbtack is in the process of re-envisioning its data ecosystem, and the manager of the Data Engineering team is an integral part of the process. You’ll be building a fast-growing team to meet the needs of a large Analytics organization in accordance with business needs, as we scale our digital marketing and optimize the Thumbtack marketplace and platforms.
- Build and grow an amazing team of data engineers with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Lead and manage the team as a hands-on technical leader. Help the team make key technical decisions, unblock the team, and guide the team on execution. We expect managers in this role to review and write code when needed.
- Set technical direction, roadmaps and guide evolution of our data systems.
- Collaborate with analysts and product engineers to ensure our analytics infrastructure generates high quality metrics to measure and drive company goals, while allowing product development to move quickly.
- Partner with data platform and product engineering teams to design warehouse schemas, develop & maintain ETLs, and define data architectures to ensure consistent, seamless tracking, and measurement of key company and product metrics.
- Partner with other engineering leaders to evolve and improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced growth environment.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years experience in an engineering management role and 5+ years experience building software at scale, at least 3 of which are focused on data systems and data warehousing.
- Proven track record of building highly-functioning teams, setting technical vision, and delivering results in a collaborative, cross-functional organization.
- Experience building data-driven systems in production.
- Experience with a modern public cloud-based data stack on AWS/GCP; BigQuery, Snowflake, or other modern data warehouse systems; Airflow, dbt, or other modern workflow management systems.
- Strong technical skills and willingness to be hands-on. Ability to guide the team in systems design, write and review code, and help debug issues.
- Strong product sense and experience working on a user facing consumer product.
- Quantitative intuition and a strong understanding of metrics and analytics, and is able to connect data with end user impact.
- Bonus for building data warehouses for consumer-facing products or two-sided marketplaces.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.