Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Internal Communications Team
Relevant. Informative. Concise. Engaging. Creative.
Internal Communications is on a mission to make every Thumbtack team member informed, connected and empowered by establishing efficient, effective and creative ways to learn about the business. We listen and engage just as much as we push out communications.
We believe in transparency and proactively sharing information about the state of the business and the organization overall. We create a sense of community and camaraderie across all levels, functions and offices, as well as with the pros and customers we serve. We celebrate the accomplishments of our employees, pros and customers.
About the Role
You’ll be responsible for helping build an innovative and comprehensive internal communications strategy to align employees across departments and locations, making employees feel like one global team. You’ll use forward-thinking communications practices and ideas to communicate across a number of channels and help leaders bring their messages to life. You’ll partner with key stakeholders, such as the People, Brand Marketing and Product Development teams, to build bridges across our organization and drive timely, relevant and inspirational content. A majority of this role will focus on supporting our People function and helping to communicate the future of work at Thumbtack.
We are looking for a strategic but also creative thinker who understands how to use internal comms to address key business and organizational priorities, often in new ways. You should be an excellent written, verbal and visual communicator and a curious context seeker. You love coaching others on how to bring their messages to life and can give high-quality and direct feedback to anyone. You should also be able to build relationships and collaborate with anyone, regardless of function, location or tenure. You run a tight process, can juggle many balls, hit tight deadlines and drive others to do the same. Must also be able to bring new ideas to life. Box? What box? Creativity, innovative thinking and a sense of humor is a must.
Remote in San Francisco Bay Area until at least July 2021
- Help to develop and implement the internal communications strategy and editorial calendar to communicate Thumbtack’s mission, strategy, business performance and people news
- Assist with a number of company-wide meetings [e.g. all hands, Q+As, Product and team spotlight showcase, etc.] including storyline development, content creation and speaker preparation
- Develop content for employee-facing initiatives and programs (e.g. People team programs, organizational announcements, events, leadership updates)
- Able to utilize data to measure effectiveness of communications and inform future initiatives
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to understand business and organizational priorities and provide best practices for communicating
- You will be responsible for communications content calendars and help keep the team organized and on track and leadership in the know about important projects and timelines
- Creating, publishing and organizing content on the company wiki and maintaining two-way channels to ensure employees are heard
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years professional experience with 3+ years in employee/internal communications
- Excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills
- Mastery of presentation tools (i.e. powerpoint, google slides)
- Strong leadership with emphasis on collaboration, proactive, flexible, can-do attitude.
- Lead with why. You must have a passion for the audience experience, design, written and rich media communications, and knowledge of how to leverage each to achieve communication goals.
- Strong project and program management skills, with the ability to drive multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to create and foster productive and engaging employee relationships
- Project management experience
- An eye for visual design and aesthetics
- Graphic design and video editing abilities
- Executive communications experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.