Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Financial Planning & Analysis Team
The Financial Planning and Analysis team is a highly visible team that helps plan and evaluate Thumbtack’s financial performance against company goals. Our team’s mission is to deliver timely, complete and accurate financial information that can be relied on to help drive impactful business decisions.
FP&A transforms the Thumbtack strategy and vision into a financial plan using critical analysis, planning and modeling. The FP&A team provides critical financial reporting and insights to the organization, leadership team, Board, and investors.
About the Role
The Director, Corporate FP&A, will lead a team of approximately 5 professionals and will have direct ownership of all centralized FP&A processes including the annual budgeting and monthly forecasting processes. As the most senior member of Corporate FP&A, you will be directly responsible for owning key financial and KPI reporting including weekly and monthly business reviews, Board presentations and other financial reporting. You will also be responsible for Thumbtack’s Business Performance team, which owns the company metrics & dashboards and provides analysis and insights into the drivers of business performance beyond just the P&L. You will play a critical role in helping Thumbtack become a public company ready.
You should have the desire and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. Partnering with critical stakeholders across the Finance, Accounting and Executive Leadership team within Thumbtack, the Director, Corporate FP&A will lead the development of solutions that accelerate cycle times and alleviate manual processes. This role will report to the Head of FP&A and interact heavily with the CFO.
Remote in San Francisco Bay Area until at least July 2021
- Leadership of financial forecast and planning processes, including process management, communication and reporting
- Ownership of management financial reporting including Board decks, annual budget, and weekly and monthly business reviews
- Ownership of non-financial reporting, including company dashboards and KPI trend analysis
- Strong partnership collaboration with Accounting, FP&A and Analytics to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting
- Ensure the use of appropriate tools and skills to create visually impactful slides for executive and Board-level presentations
- Own and improve current systems and processes to increase productivity and accuracy of the FP&A team
- Manage frequent ad hoc projects to support management and business decisions
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related field
- 10+ years of FP&A experience, with at least 5 years in Corporate FP&A (including experience within a public company environment)
- Excellent leadership skills, with a track record of building, leading and inspiring high-performing teams
- Excellent financial modeling, analytical, problem solving and system skills
- Experience managing the financial planning process across a company
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment while maintaining a high level of precision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to translate financial analytics into clear and insightful recommendations, and to tell the story beyond the numbers
- Experience working for a consumer tech company
- Proven ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Experience in a 2 sided marketplace
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.