Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling, and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Accounting Team
The Accounting Team is involved in all aspects of the business ensuring we properly capture, account for, and record all the activities that occur as they occur. We keep the books and records for the Company, help to ensure Thumbtack has appropriate policies and procedures in place, and provide the business with the information in order to make critical decisions in the support of Thumbtack’s success.
- Perform month-end and quarter close procedures and ensure financials are in accordance with GAAP
- Prepare month-end journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, and supporting schedules
- Serve as a back-up on month-end duties assigned to other team members
- Provide analysis, explain variances, and identify trends
- Research technical accounting guidance and issues and analyze transactions
- Proactively identify issues and areas for improvement
- Help establish and maintain policies and procedures and execute controls associated with areas of responsibility
- Support AP, prepayments, and other processes
- Assist with the annual audit process including both the readiness and execution, including preparation of supporting audit schedules
- Assist with and/or complete ad hoc projects as requested
- Research and document issues, special projects, audit requests, etc.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 4-5 years of experience in accounting functions
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Enthusiastic, upbeat, and positive with the ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment with changing priorities
- Strong attention to detail and ability to research discrepancies and solve problems
- Must be a "self-starter" with a can-do demeanor and a serious desire to have a positive impact on Thumbtack
- CPA license is preferred but not required
- Experience with NetSuite, GSuite, and internal controls a plus
- Public accounting or internal auditing experience with Big 4 firms is preferred
- Amazing communications and collaboration skills with both accounting and non-finance teams
You want to improve things but can live with ambiguity & a fast-paced environment where not everything ticks and ties yet. And, above all, you have the highest integrity.
More about us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.