Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Finance Team
The Thumbtack Finance team’s mission is to be a strategic finance partner to the business to enable better business decisions that are supported by data while building a world class finance function and to do it all with integrity.
About the Role
The Director, FP&A will partner closely with the business. Your business partners will view you as a trusted advisor and value your expertise and help in managing resources to achieve company goals. This person will build and lead a team of finance professionals. In this highly visible role, this person will be responsible for cross-functional collaboration with Product, Marketing, Sales, Engineering and Analytics teams to set company targets, tracking against those targets and support key stakeholders. This role will provide decision support to the business for how marketing and product decisions impact the P&L. Reporting to the VP Finance, this role will be responsible for managing end-to-end FP&A support for the business and ensuring successful partnership between the business, Corp FP&A, and Analytics.
- Build a team of highly engaged finance professionals
- Support the business in annual and quarterly planning and collaborate with Analytics to develop team targets and OKRs
- Support monthly/quarterly forecasting and reporting
- Analyze and synthesize financial results and communicate key messages to internal stakeholders
- Develop financial models that guide our strategic decision-making on key P&L drivers
- Help evaluate product features and access financial impact
- Support marketing budget allocation, attribution, and financial reporting
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years of FP&A experience; with experience as a finance business partner
- Track record of building and leading inspiring high-performance teams
- Experience working with marketing & growth teams
- Excellent financial modeling and analytical skills, using key tools within Excel and G-Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to tell the story beyond the numbers
- Ability to translate financial analysis into clear and insightful recommendations
- Experience working for a consumer tech company, marketplace a plus
- Proven ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Experience within a public company environment
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.