Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Financial Planning & Analysis Team
The Financial Planning and Analysis team is a highly visible team that helps plan and evaluate Thumbtack’s financial performance against company goals. Our team’s mission is to deliver timely, complete and accurate financial information that can be relied on to help drive impactful business decisions.
FP&A transforms the Thumbtack strategy and vision into a financial plan using critical analysis, planning and modeling. The FP&A team provides critical financial reporting and insights to the organization, leadership team, Board, and investors.
About the Role
The Director, FP&A will lead a team of 3 Senior Analysts, and have direct ownership of FP&A business partnership, including budgeting, forecasting and actuals reporting. In this highly visible role, you will be responsible for cross-functional collaboration with the Analytics team to set company targets, track against those targets and support key stakeholders in understanding variances. Your business partners will view you as a trusted advisor and value your financial expertise and your help in understanding, tracking and managing finances and resources to achieve company goals.
Reporting to the Head of FP&A, you will be responsible for managing end-to-end FP&A support for the Thumbtack leadership team and ensuring successful partnership between Finance and the senior leadership team.
- Be a key driver in the monthly, quarterly and annual planning processes. Provide analysis and insights into variances between actual and expected financial results
- Partner with business owners to gain insight into key investment activity, support key financial analysis (including optimal resource allocation across performance marketing channels), and be able to effectively communicate this with partners
- Maintain and improve existing models and metrics, while developing and introducing new analytical frameworks that enhance insight, efficiency and decision-making speed
- Develop tools and resources to drive insights related to budget allocation, attribution analysis, and financial reporting which will guide critical decision making
- Collaborate with the Analytics teams and DRIs (Directly Responsible Individuals) to define and measure company targets
- Provide accurate, timely, and actionable financial reporting and key business metrics to operating teams, company leadership, and other groups as necessary
- Collaborate and communicate on a timely basis with the Corporate FP&A regarding weekly and monthly forecasts and other financial trends
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years of FP&A experience, with at least 2 years in a senior management position, preferably in a marketplace business
- Experience in business partnering and being an excellent team player, with a track record of building, leading and inspiring high-performing teams
- Experience in marketplace-type businesses where you can evaluate tradeoffs between equally important stakeholders
- Proven track record of business impact in driving analytics for a growth, performance, direct response, or other ROI-goaled marketing program
- Excellent financial modeling and analytical skills, using key tools within Excel and G-Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to tell the story beyond the numbers
- Able to translate financial analytics into clear and insightful recommendations for business stakeholders
- Experience working for a consumer tech company
- Proven ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Experience within a public company environment
- Experience working for a tech company
- Proven ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Financial Planning Systems experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.