Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will help to grow our Data Services team focused on business intelligence, and play a leading role on our Analytics Infrastructure team. You’ll architect, design and develop a foundational, strategic vision for how we can continue to scale our world-class data environment and make our data accessible and digestible for reporting and analysis across the company. You’ll collaborate with our Analytics and Infrastructure teams to manage and own our data warehouse used by hundreds across the company to drive reporting and analysis.
Remote in San Francisco Bay Area until at least July 2021
- Proactively drive the vision for BI and Data Warehousing across the company, and define and execute on a roadmap to achieve that vision
- Design, architect, and maintain a data warehouse that supports a rapidly evolving product, in partnership with our stellar analytics and data services teams
- Define, document and socialize foundational aspects of our reporting and analytical data model
- Build and own the reporting pipelines that organize and structure our terabytes of data into digestible tables that empower analysis and reporting across the company
- Drive data quality across key product and business areas
- Collaborate closely with analysts and engineers to ensure our analytics infrastructure helps meet company goals and allows product development to move quickly
- Partner with data services and product engineering teams to ensure consistent, seamless tracking and measurement of key company and product metrics
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4 or more years of experience working in data or backend engineering, where your primary focus was on datastores and business intelligence, serving analysis and reporting functions
- Experience building ETL data pipelines in a programming language like Python or Scala
- Significant experience with SQL for analytics/reporting/business intelligence, including comprehension of query execution plans, and query tuning/optimization
- Experience designing, architecting, and maintaining a data warehouse that seamlessly stitches together data from production databases, clickstream event data, and external APIs to serve teams of analysts
- Excellent ability to understand the needs of and collaborate with stakeholders in other functions, especially an Analytics team
- Experience using and/or configuring Business Intelligence tools (Tableau, Mode, Looker, et al.)
- Experience in an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company
- Experience orchestrating data pipelines that serve hourly or daily metric reporting in Airflow
- Experience building data pipelines in Scala
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.