Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this everyday.
We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits from fully-paid health insurance, to providing top-notch food from our in-house culinary team.
About the Role
Our People programs and initiatives are only effective if we can be leaders in how our company operates, and seamlessly integrate them into how our business works. In this role, you’ll join the Business Partner team based in Toronto, responsible for generalist duties while ramping into Business Partner work. This will be a 6-month fixed-term contract, with the opportunity to extend to further employment.
Our People Business Partners are business leaders first, HR leaders second. As coaches and advocates, we combine generalist HR expertise with deep understanding of our partners, to quickly solve problems and enable the success of our teams.
- Execute strategic and operational HR tasks. Manage payroll and benefits administration, HRIS maintenance, and support other office-specific, operational processes. Work with People subteams and other XF partners to bridge policies across Thumbtack as needed (e.g. Workday integration).
- Be a trusted partner for the TO office. Be a collaborative partner that has a strong pulse of the TO office, a trusted partner to our team, and an influencer and point-of-contact for other People Teams including Recruiting, HR Operations, People Programs, and Workplace Experience. Maintain an open door relationship with all levels of employees and provide guidance on Thumbtack policies and programs.
- Provide expertise in key people domains. Manage key people domains for the TO office, including employee engagement, performance management, employee relations, and key interfaces with total rewards, learning and development, recruiting etc., with ease, finding the right balance between what’s right for the employee and Thumbtack. Be a confidant and coach across TO, to drive individual development, continuous improvement, and high performing teams.
- Drive change through people programs and policies. Contribute to the design and rollout of key people programs (e.g., engagement action planning, performance management, compensation planning, development etc.) for the TO teams, while also influencing the continuous improvement of these programs.
- Be a leader, and help us build. Provide a key interface between the People Teams and the TO office; ensuring People programs and activities are integrated into the way the business operates and client insights are leveraged to influence the development of People programs. Anticipate and contribute to developing frameworks and processes to help us scale quickly.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5+years of HR experience as a generalist, business partner,or equivalent role
- Experience with: employee relations, coaching, diversity and inclusion, talent acquisition, performance management, employee relations, compensation and total rewards, talent management and/ or conflict resolution, HR operations and systems
- Foundational knowledge of Canadian/Ontario labour law, ESA compliance standards, and local HR best practices
- Experience in a high-growth environment, with an emphasis on building and scaling
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion.