Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level directly impact improvements across the product, including project scoping, matching, scheduling, messaging and payments. Building an outstanding experience for each of these user flows is made more complex by the sheer scale of our approach: Thumbtack simultaneously operates in nearly 1,000 categories, in every county in the US. Our new Instant Match tool has allowed us to truly revolutionize the experience of hiring local pros, while increasing supply to meet the robust customer demand we’ve spent years growing.
About the Role
During this 12 week summer internship at Thumbtack, you will be paired with a mentor on the engineering team to work through interesting technical problems in your area of interest. We deeply value autonomy, so you will be given freedom to work with your mentor to find a project (or several) that interest you, while providing value to the larger team. We promise to make your time at Thumbtack fun, memorable, and unique as we work together to solve marketplace frustrations.
- Driving your internship project(s) to completion, with a tenacious focus on the business impact of your project(s)
- Prioritizing tasks to deliver on goals with a sense of urgency
- Solving tough technical problems, including working collaboratively with cross-functional teams to plan and execute on your project
- Meeting regularly with your mentor and proactively asking for help when needed--think of them as your cheerleader
- Pursuing a BS/BA in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related technical degree
- Enrolled in a full-time degree program
- Graduating in December 2019 or Summer 2020
- Excellent coder--it’s both clean and concise
- An appetite for learning and passion to help others
- Relevant internship experience
- You’re fluent in at least one major programming language and would be able to switch between multiple languages. In our stack, we mainly use PHP, Scala, and Go, with Objective-C, Swift, Kotlin, and Java for our mobile apps.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.