Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Marketing Team
The Marketing team is responsible for putting our $XXM annual marketing budgets to work building our brand awareness, driving affinity and preference, enabling acquisition and ensuring retention, across all online and offline channels.
About the Role
The Director of Brand at Thumbtack will be responsible for leading Thumbtack’s brand strategy, execution, and measurement capabilities to enable our product and business strategies achieve their long-term goals. The person in this role will be a key thought partner for, and will report to the Head of Marketing. They will have a career-making opportunity to develop a brand strategy and a compelling, category-defining brand promise that drives preference for Thumbtack over the competition among target audiences.
- Work with internal partners (e.g., Communications, Product Marketing, User Experience, Research, Performance Marketing, and Product Design) and external agencies to develop and realize Thumbtack’s brand strategy. Build out additional capabilities as needed and lead all brand strategy initiatives.
- Build a clear, distinctive, and compelling brand platform and personality that drives preference.
- Develop and expand marketing claims to support teams across the organization in bringing Thumbtack’s brand promise and personality to life.
- Manage external agency and consultant partners across content and creative production verticals including concepting, copywriting, photography and videography.
- Lead and build a talented team of creative, social and marketing resources in developing and optimizing content and creative to maximize results.
- Track key metrics to ensure that your team and agency partners are reaching business objectives.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10-15 years of consumer-facing marketing experience
- 3+ years building and leading teams
- Demonstrated experience building a consumer-facing brand
- Proven track record of delivering an integrated refresh or rebrand across digital and offline channels
- Proven ability to manage internal and external resources to deliver a cohesive brand strategy on time and within budget
- In-depth understanding of relevant social channels from both an organic and paid media perspective, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and more
- Experience building brand with $XXM+ media budgets
- Combination of CPG and tech experience preferred
- Experience partnering with PR to leverage media as an extension of Brand
- Experience developing brand guidelines/style guides
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.