Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Financial Planning & Analysis Team
Financial Planning and Analysis is a highly visible team who use both quantitative and qualitative analysis to plan and evaluate Thumbtack’s financial performance against company goals.
FP&A transforms the Thumbtack strategy and vision into a financial plan using critical analysis, planning and modeling. It forecasts revenue, expenses and profitability, sets annual financial targets and is critical to Thumbtack’s success.
About the Role
The Senior Financial Analyst, FP&A will be the trusted finance business partner to Thumbtack’s Marketing, Sales and Services leaders and will be responsible for providing end-to-end FP&A support to all of our marketing efforts across online and offline marketing channels, and Sales and Support functions. This role will own the forecasting of demand in line with flexes in marketing spend, and support the budget and forecast cycles for expenses within the Sales and Marketing functions.
This is a highly visible role, working with senior leaders within the Thumbtack Marketing and Sales organisation, and the candidate will have an in-depth understanding of key financial and operational drivers including ROAS, ROI, LTV and CAC, and will provide front line support and supporting analysis to support these teams.
- Drive the monthly, quarterly, annual, and long-term forecasts for Marketing spend and associated demand
- Partner with Sales and Sales Ops to gain insight into key investment activity, supporting key financial analysis such as LTV:CAC
- Develop tools and resources to drive insights related to budget allocation, attribution analysis, and financial reporting which will guide decision making
- Build positive relationships and effectively communicate insights with partners
- Partner with senior leadership on resource planning and investment proposals
- Provide analysis and insights into variances between actual and expected financial results
- Provide front line support for ad hoc financial analysis requests and inquiries
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related field
- 7+ years of FP&A experience, with at least 2 years as FP&A support for Marketing
- Excellent financial modeling and analytical skills, using key tools within Excel and G-Suite
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment while maintaining a high level of precision
- Able to translate financial analytics into clear and insightful recommendations for business stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical and system skills
- Experience within a public company environment
- Experience working for a tech company
- Proven ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Financial Planning Systems experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.