Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Thumbtack Philippines provides customer support, marketplace trust and safety operations, product support, and various knowledge and shared services support for our internal teams globally. If joining one of Silicon Valley’s top tech startup companies and being part of a world-class team in Manila sounds like a good career move for you, then come check out this job role we’re hiring for.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We collaborate with partners across the company to solve the most analytically challenging problems -- everything from how we set prices across hundreds of local services categories, to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance, to identifying early predictors of high-quality customers. We are a tight-knit, intellectually curious team that is committed to improving Thumbtack and improving each other.
About the Role
As a Data Analyst, you'll be a key member of our growing office in the Philippines. You will champion the use of data to describe the interactions of Thumbtack users with our Marketing Operations team, and surface key opportunities for improvement. You will also work closely with QA analysts to gain a better understanding of the overall experience of our customers in using our platform. You will also be collaborating with the Product, and Operations teams on broader efforts where product and operations overlap, such as launching a new feature or providing data-driven feedback to streamline existing features.
Team members’ personal and professional development is a priority for us. We have a track record of preparing team members not only for more senior responsibilities in analytics, but also for diverse roles across operations, marketing, and data science.
- Partner with leaders of Thumbtack’s Operations teams in Philippines and in the US (i.e., Pro Engagement Marketing, Customer Support and Trust & Safety) to determine their most pressing business problems and solve them with data.
- Build and maintain business intelligence reports that provide insights into Thumbtack users’ activity in our platform and engagement with our operations team.
- Create SQL scripts that extract and process large datasets from relational databases
- Prioritize and execute data analytics projects, from scoping to deployment.
- Communicate project results and data-backed recommendations to stakeholders, monitor and improve them as necessary.
- Determine the metrics, together with its procedure and formula, that appropriately answers business questions
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through peer collaboration, training, knowledge sharing and more.
- 5+ years of work experience, 3+ of which as a Data Analyst
- 2+ years of experience in using SQL to process large data sets (e.g. BigQuery)
- 2+ years of Experience using Tableau or similar visualization tools
- 2+ years of Experience using advanced functions in Google Sheets or Excel
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and strategic decision-making skills
- Strong cross-functional teamwork experience
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Previous experience in one of the following fields: marketing, customer support, consulting, workforce planning or operations research.
- Project management experience.
- Proficiency with statistics/programming languages (e.g., R, Python)
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in statistics, math, economics, or computer science
- Status: Permanent
- Employment terms: Full-Time
- Schedule: Expected to report to work from 6AM to 3PM (non-time sensitive)
- Travel requirement: Amenable to travel to the US at least twice a year (or whenever there’s a business need)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.