Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Trust and Safety Risk Mitigation Team
The Trust and Safety Risk Mitigation team leverages technical, analytical, and operational solutions to promote trust on the Thumbtack platform. We develop cutting-edge strategies to mitigate risks to our users both online and in the real world. Thumbtack’s success is dependent on gaining and maintaining the trust of the customers and pros that use our platform.
About the Role
As the leader of our Trust and Safety Risk Mitigation team, you will oversee a team of risk and operations analysts producing cutting edge predictive analytics, proactive research, and operational analysis with impact on policies, risk models, engineering rules, and team processes. You will be responsible for strategic planning, improving business processes, ensuring sound data-driven judgements, and project management.
- Be an organized and strategic People Leader for a high-performing team of technical and operational analysts.
- Develop your team to meet both their career goals and the organization's goals through coaching, mentoring, and stretch assignments.
- Establish and manage team processes, provide analytical feedback, ensure relevant project management for new and ongoing projects, and measure team productivity, goal achievement, and effectiveness.
- Create and drive strategy for proactive risk detection and mitigation. Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance protections for our users and platform.
- Ensure team decisions and policy recommendations are aligned with needs of relevant stakeholders (i.e. engineers, product) and are backed by sound analysis and data.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Engineering, Business Applications, Data, Technical Infrastructure, Product, and other Operations teams to proactively analyze and streamline team processes, improve efficiency, and identify opportunities for automation.
- Communicate regularly with San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Philippines-based Trust and Safety managers, and other designated contacts within the organization.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 6-10 years of related people leadership experience
- 5+ years of project management experience or experience managing operational and analytic teams.
- Previous trust and safety, risk mitigation, or fraud prevention experience.
- Experience with complex SQL or producing sophisticated data analysis in a professional environment.
- Experience designing and delivering presentations in order to gain cross-functional support on team initiatives.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A degree in Data Analytics, Computer Science, Stats, Math, Economics, or similar.
- Payment Fraud experience
- Experience managing a remote team
- Tableau Experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.