Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We collaborate with partners across the company to solve the most analytically challenging problems -- everything from how we set prices across hundreds of local services categories, to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance, to identifying early predictors of high-quality customers. We are a tight-knit, intellectually curious team that is committed to improving Thumbtack and improving each other.
About the Role
Our data comes in various shapes and forms. Your role is to understand it, transform it and make it easier for 100+ data savvy users to extract insights from it. You will own end-to-end solutions for data and analytics, from defining tracking standards, to building ETL pipelines, to implementing tools and processes that empower analysts to harness the power of terabytes of data, to training the broader team on how to work with our data. Outside of analytics infrastructure work, you will contribute to the analytics team culture and overall company data culture.
- Design, build, and launch source of truth data pipelines for analytics metrics layer that enable analysis influencing critical product/business decisions
- Define tracking standards for back-end and front-end events and across all web and native clients
- Own the roadmap for our internal experimentation platform
- Own relationship with existing external analytics vendors including Mode and Tableau, Datafold and introduce new tools and services that enhance and improve analyst productivity
- Be a champion of data hygiene, lead by example on data quality and inspire everyone to do the same
- Train 50+ analysts and grow team knowledge on various data topics including our data model and pipelines, table design, SQL tuning, monitoring, tracking and best practices
- Understand the needs of the Analytics team and partner with Engineering to prioritize, build and implement data products that meet them
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of experience in data warehousing, ETL, business intelligence, data engineering
- Experience designing, architecting, and maintaining a data warehouse that seamlessly stitches together data from production databases, clickstream event data, and external APIs to serve teams of analysts
- Experience defining tracking requirements across a large number of product development stakeholders
- Able to teach data concepts to both analysts and non-analysts
- Excellent SQL skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally
- Experience working directly with or within analytics teams
- Experience in an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company
- Experience building data pipelines
- Experience with building A/B experimentation pipelines
More About Us
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.