Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We collaborate with partners across the company to solve the most analytically challenging problems -- everything from how we set prices across hundreds of local services categories, to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance, to identifying early predictors of high-quality customers. We are a tight-knit, intellectually curious team that is committed to improving Thumbtack and improving each other.
About the Role
As a Product Analyst at Thumbtack, you’ll be expected to leverage your analytical expertise, product sense, and interpersonal skills to drive a variety of high-impact projects. You will embed directly with a product team to help launch features and transform our marketplace. Outside product work, you’ll contribute to our broader analytics team and company data culture by sharing your learnings, partnering with others, and building new capabilities for how we can use data to guide decisions.
Team members’ personal and professional development is a priority for us. We have a solid track record of preparing team members not only for more senior responsibilities in analytics, but also for diverse roles across product, data science, and marketing.
- Drive product impact by proposing and conducting quantitative research into key user behaviors and business trends, in partnership with product managers, engineers, designers, and other team members
- Help Thumbtack rigorously learn about our millions of users through designing and analyzing experiments, market-based tests, etc.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to scope new features and inform the product roadmap through analysis, e.g., make recommendations on trade-offs between different strategic priorities, help determine the business logic of new features, etc.
- Develop topic area expertise for the product team that you embed with
- Define and monitor key metrics; investigate changes in metrics and propose next steps
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through accessible data table design and maintenance
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Passion for problem-solving, critical thinking, and data
- Sharp business judgement and the ability to see past the noise
- Strong communicator, attentive listener and compelling explainer
- 2+ years of analytics/data science experience
- 1+ years of experience in tech
- Expert in SQL
- Proficient in one of Python, R, or Stata
- Proficient with Data Visualization tools
- Experience in relevant tech companies, e.g., consumer-facing or marketplace
- Experience in an analytical environment outside of analytics, e.g., management consulting
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in statistics, math, economics, or computer science
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.