Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people.
We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this every day.
We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits and wellbeing.
About the Role
The People Strategy & Operations Senior Lead ensures that the People team is cohesive, innovative, and responsive to new challenges. This person will identify and tackle some of our thorniest People challenges during a time of unprecedented and rapid change, helping design strategies, structure our operational approach, and track and facilitate progress against key initiatives. This is a BizOps role embedded in a People team: a fast-paced, cross-functional individual contributor position that reports to the People Team Chief of Staff.
- Developing structured project plans to tackle big, ambiguous, cross-functional challenges. Examples of projects include coordinating People team response to external crises and facilitating improvements to the hiring process in a remote-first operating model.
- Managing stakeholder relationships to ensure timely execution against plans.
- Support implementation of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programming across the company, including department-level diversity representatives and employee ERG groups.
- Drive the creation of new programs (e.g, programs to support employee mental and physical health in a remote work context) in partnership with People Operations and Workplace Experience.
- Support the revamp of a manager training program for remote-first operating model. Partner with People Business Partners and leadership to understand employee needs. Develop and execute training programs (remotely) across global offices. Track and report on program success.
- Strengthen existing coaching opportunities for employees to drive retention and business impact, including identifying, evaluating, and managing vendors.
- Create comms plans to drive adoption and success of programs. Partner with Comms team to embed in broader comms to maximize impact.
- Cooperate with cross-functional partners across offices to understand employee needs.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years of experience in an operations role requiring attention to detail and process orientation
- Experience driving multi-stakeholder projects in a high-growth environment
- Strong analytical skills, including an ability to develop structured approaches to complex problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience working across geos and time zones
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.