Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Research & Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of designers, researchers, and writers working closely with analysts, engineers, and product managers to discover, evaluate, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through critiques, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and inform the direction of the product and company as a whole. As a small but mighty team we are also developing resources to scale impact to other functions, including educational content, trainings, and standardized processes.
About the Role
Researchers at Thumbtack are embedded within product teams and serve as advocates for the needs of customers and pros alike. You will be responsible for scoping and executing research projects (often with overlapping timelines) and providing insights that will drive key product decisions. Our team uses a mix of qualitative and quantitative methods but no one is an expert on everything. We hope you will bring unique expertise and perspectives that can further amplify our team.
- Collaborate closely with multiple teams within the organization to identify and prioritize research topics in a fast-paced environment.
- Determine the approach and conduct research from strategic discovery about user needs to tactical evaluations of design decisions.
- Synthesize feedback to generate insights and provide clear and concise design and strategy recommendations.
- Share research findings with smaller functional teams and the company at-large by creating and distributing compelling, impactful reports and presentations.
- Assess larger user trends and determine strategies for further investigation and/or synthesis to inform company strategy and planning.
- Work collaboratively within the research team to improve our team’s processes (including recruiting participants, setting up studies, collecting data, processing results, and sharing out findings).
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- At least one year of professional experience in applied user-centered research that informed the design of products, services, or experiences.
- Strong understanding of strengths and shortcomings of various qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them.
- Experience conducting qualitative or quantitative research, including unbiased data collection and analysis.
- Demonstrated success influencing product, service, and/or design decisions based on research insights.
- Excellent cross-functional collaboration and communication skills.
- BA/BS in a field dedicated to either understanding some aspect of human behavior and/or creating intuitive interfaces between humans and technology, or equivalent practical experience.
- MA/MS or PhD in one of the previously mentioned academic fields
- Experience using a variety of research tools (such as Qualtrics, Validately, Optimal Workshop, Ethnio).
- Experience with advanced quantitative analysis (e.g. inferential statistics)
- Coding experience (e.g. writing SQL queries, analyzing data in R)
- Experience working remotely
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Thumbtack Design Blog
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.