Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Marketplace Trust & Safety Team
The Marketplace Trust & Safety Team works on some of Thumbtack’s most interesting and challenging issues. We pride ourselves on providing a safe, high-quality experience for Thumbtack pros and their customers. Our team leverages technical, design, and operational solutions to promote trust on Thumbtack. We are developing cutting-edge strategies to mitigate risks to our users both online and in the real world. Thumbtack’s success is dependent on gaining and maintaining the trust of the customers and professionals that use the platform.
About the Role
As a Marketplace Trust & Safety Sr. Risk Analyst, you will develop and lead initiatives to prevent issues before they occur and promote trust on Thumbtack. You will work cross-functionally to create and advise product feature and policy development, as well as manage operational processes.
You’ll be a part of the team that seeks to provide a uniformly excellent experience to our users and will participate in the thinking on a range of important and complex issues in today’s evolving marketplace. Day-to-day activities will be distributed between analytical projects and operational management of processes to improve Thumbtack’s handling of high-priority and urgent user interactions.
- You take ownership for the work you do and stand behind its quality
- You’re always analyzing results and actively pushing new initiatives to drive growth and innovation
- You are highly analytical and require proof through numbers
- You’re outgoing, friendly, and connect easily with a diverse range of people
- You effectively work with a team of cross-functional stakeholders (product, analytics, legal, customer support) to achieve results
- You are resourceful and do what it takes to get alignment and resources
- Support the Marketplace Trust & Safety Team to improve the safety and quality of the Thumbtack experience for both professionals and customers.
- Proactively analyze large datasets to derive new recommendations for improving trust & safety on Thumbtack.
- Develop data-driven policies and processes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of MTS engineering and operational efforts.
- Balance multiple projects at the same time.
- Demonstrate strong written and oral communication by creating data visualizations and presentations on analytical findings and recommendations, and by providing regular updates to stakeholders.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Engineering, Data, Legal, and Product teams to develop processes and ensure MTS goals are included in new product features.
- Self prioritize activities and tasks based on importance to drive completion of department goals
- Contribute to our team and company culture through peer collaboration, training, coaching and personal development.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years of work experience
- 2+ years of SQL or other query languages experience
- Experience using advanced Excel functions or Google Sheets
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to process large amounts of data to determine the best possible solution
- Strong cross-functional teamwork and project management experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Previous experience in one of the following fields: fraud, risk, consulting, data analysis, or operations.
- Experience creating a complex process and teaching others how to run it.
- Project management experience.
- Data visualization application experience (Tableau)
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.