Have you ever tried to hire an electrician or plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Finance Team
Thumbtack’s Finance team is a tight-knit team responsible for stewardship of Thumbtack’s long-term financial strategy and results. The team drives Thumbtack’s accounting, budgeting, P&L planning and forecasting, and capital planning processes. In addition, the Finance team provides critical financial reporting and insights to the organization, leadership team, Board, and investors.
About the Role
The Head of FP&A is a highly visible role within the organization, requiring frequent interaction with the CEO, CFO, and broader executive team.
This role will drive shareholder value across a broad spectrum of the Company, by defining Thumbtack’s financial framework and strategy and translating that into the P&L.
You will lead all financial budgeting, forecasting, and long-range planning for the Company. Collaborating with the business, you will compile and publish analytical and insightful analyses of company performance. The Head of FP&A is responsible for final monthly and quarterly financial reporting to the Board and materials presented to investors and other external stakeholders.
Impeccable character, integrity, attention to detail, and work ethic are critical for success. Reporting to our CFO, the leader will manage a two person team (with the opportunity to grow the team). The position requires good business sense combined with strong financial reporting, planning and modeling skills. It also requires the ability to understand the big picture of the Company financial model.
P&L forecasting, reporting, and insights - Keep the trains running on time
- Support annual budget process, quarterly forecast, and long-term strategic planning processes
- Refine detailed financial models that forecast and analyze functional costs to fully understand sources of variance and, ultimately, improve forecast accuracy
- Drive monthly and quarterly management reporting - analyzing financial results, distilling/synthesizing trends, and communicating key messages to internal stakeholders, the Board, and investors
- Scope & eventually lead implementation of FP&A planning software
Strategic planning & analysis - Drive our financial strategy and results
- Develop financial models that guide our strategic decision-making on key P&L drivers
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive repository of competitive intelligence
- Evaluate new product features and plans to access business impact
- Understand user acquisition by assessing financial return and impact to the business
- Work closely with teams that project revenue to provide ongoing insights
- Produce high-impact value-add analysis for business partners
- Constantly look for ways to improve processes
- Assist on other ad-hoc projects for the FP&A team
Investor Relations and External Reporting - Bring the outside in
- Provide financial updates to our key external stakeholders (including investors and Board members) on a monthly cadence financial updates to key external stakeholders including investors and Board members
- Collaborate and maintain ongoing partner relationships with our investor organizations and financial partners (e.g. Sequoia, CapitalG)
- Lead financial analysis and processes for key events with external partners, such as equity or debt financing
- Help prepare Thumbtack for a future IPO
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years finance experience. MBA strongly preferred
- Stellar analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to understand the details of our business, which levers matter, and their implications for our financial strategy
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves
- Ability to adapt to change and manage conflict
- Ability to lead and influence a broad team including those not in direct reporting line
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and ability to uplevel communication to executives and external stakeholders
- Experience in a startup or marketplace company
- Investment Banking or Consulting experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.