Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this everyday.
We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits from health insurance to providing restaurant-quality food from our in-house culinary team.
About the Role
In this role, you’ll join the Business Partner team based in SF, responsible for generalist duties while ramping into Business Partner work, receiving coaching from senior BPs to hone your craft and grow as a BP.
Our People Business Partners are business leaders first, HR leaders second. As coaches and advocates, we combine generalist HR expertise with deep understanding of our partners, to quickly solve problems and enable the success of our teams.
- Execute strategic and operational HR work. Conduct performance management processes, host exit interviews, and transact operational requests from our client groups quickly and in partnership with other People subteams. Anticipate and contribute to developing frameworks and processes to help Business Partners scale client work efficiently and effectively.
- Be a trusted partner and HR expert. For the client groups you are assigned to, be a collaborative partner and a reliable point-of-contact for other People Teams including Recruiting, People Operations, People Programs, and Workplace Experience. Maintain an open door relationship with all levels of employees and provide guidance on Thumbtack policies and programs.
- Drive change through people programs and policies. Contribute to the design and rollout of key people programs and policies (e.g., engagement action planning, performance management, employee handbook), while also influencing the continuous improvement of our people infrastructure.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 3+ years of HR Generalist, Operations, Business Partner or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of and experience with employee relations, immigration, employment laws and policies, HR operations and systems
- Experience in a high-growth environment, with an emphasis on building and scaling
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.