Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
Thumbtack is looking for an experienced Technical Program Manager for our engineering organization. You will lead complex, multi-disciplinary projects that span infrastructure, platform, and product engineering. Your initiatives will be complex technical projects that impact our external users and require discipline, coordination, and execution across the company. From deployment of new technology, migration to new infrastructure, defining new processes, enforcing new security measures and data governance, you will provide clarity on outcomes and metrics, manage schedules and dependencies, and communicate progress with stakeholders
- Manage technical projects, define and provide clarity on milestones and criteria, resource allocation, cross team alignment and on-time delivery
- Exercise good technical judgement and recommendations to help navigate the complexity in execution technology, deployment, and projects
- Work with project leads to define and track objectives, key results and measurements
- Obtain buy-in and sponsorship and report status to executives and stakeholders
- Partnering with business teams and tech leads to define comprehensive requirements, come up with viable, scalable, future-proof solutions, and translate them into actionable project plans and tasks
- Utilizing the agile project management framework and techniques to manage initiatives and delivery results (e.g. process creation and iteration, technical implementations, automation efforts, system enhancements)
- Ensuring proper project closures by troubleshooting and resolving outstanding issues after launch, confirming solutions are in an acceptable state, documenting lessons learned from all perspectives, and facilitating handoff to business owners if applicable
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical experience
- 5+ years experience leading complex, technical, cross-functional projects (Data Platform or Infrastructure a plus)
- Expert in agile project management methodologies
- Knowledgeable with software project lifecycle (design, build, test, release, feedback)
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; able to make thoughtful proposals, provide root cause analysis and demonstrate results through testing and metrics
- Experience and proven ability in delivering high quality product and services in a cloud environment
- Ability to proficiently work with public cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Outstanding communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think strategically at the program level, dive-in and be hands on in day-to-day action
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.