Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Accounting Team
Our accounting team is a group of high-energy accountants who thrive on producing accurate, timely financials while keeping things fun. No problem is too big for our team, we always work hard together to find a solution and get it done.
About the Role
As the Revenue Accounting Manager, you’ll be responsible for the month-end close reconciliations and GL entries for revenue and related GL accounts. You’ll work closely with, and manage, the senior revenue accountant to ensure all revenue is being accounted for correctly. You’ll also work cross-functionally with teams to maintain existing revenue streams as the product changes and ensure new revenue streams are being accounted for correctly. You’re the kind of person who works hard but likes to have fun and most importantly, takes pride in their work. You love to learn and are excited to grow. This position reports to the Senior Accounting Manager.
- Responsible for revenue daily operations, technical revenue accounting and managing the revenue team
- Prepare month-end journal entries and supporting schedules for revenue GL accounts
- Analyze and audit large data sets; request, edit, and read data queries
- Assist with establishing accounting policies and prepare for our annual audit
- Implement ASC 606
- Build out accounting functions to scale with revenue channels
- Participate in the preparation of financial reporting
- Interact with FP&A team on various analysis
- Perform ad hoc analysis and projects as needed
- Proactively identify issues and areas for improvement
- Help establish and maintain policies and procedures
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in accounting functions
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Proficiency in NetSuite and exposure to big data
- Enthusiastic, upbeat, and positive with the ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment with changing priorities
- Strong attention to detail and ability to research discrepancies and solve problems
- Amazing communications and collaboration skills with both accounting and non-finance teams
- ASC 606 Implementation experience
- SQL or BigQuery Exposure
- Startup Experience
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.