Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Design Team
We're a tight-knit team of product designers, researchers, and product writers working closely with engineers and product managers to research, explore, and iterate on well-crafted user experiences that are innovative, engaging, and delightful. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
As a New Grad Product Designer, you’ll work collaboratively and iteratively to turn complex problems into intuitive user experiences. You’ll collaborate with senior designers on projects from conception to launch and measure success through data and user research. Your work will impact both user and business goals.
- Design intuitive, human-centric flows and experiences on web, iOS, and Android
- Tackle a wide range of projects, from core features to quick experiments
- Collaborate closely with fellow designers, researchers, writers, product managers, and engineers
- Use research and qualitative data to guide design and development decisions
- Analyze the success of your solutions and iterate
- Contribute to the visual design of our patterns and design system
- Give and receive constructive design feedback
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Recent graduate or graduating in Spring 2020
- At least 1 design project with a company, either through an internship or class.
- Portfolio with projects that showcase your design process
- Strong UX, interaction, and visual design skills
- Human-centric approach to designing products
- Strong cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- Fluency in commonly used design software and related tools (Sketch or Figma, Adobe CS, etc.)
- Prototyping skills (using Invision, HTML, CSS, Framer, Principle, etc.)
- Conceptual understanding of popular front-end frameworks like Angular and React
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.