Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product and brand designers, writers and researchers working closely with engineers and product managers to launch and evolve product features. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, working sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the role
We’re looking for a Program Manager to join our growing Design Ops team. Our team focuses on all things that empower high quality craft, methods, and processes to amplify the value and impact of the design, research and writing teams. You’re passionate about the design space, and will be responsible for partnering with the Design team managers to identify and implement ops improvements, plan culture initiatives, and execute on the team’s vision. You’ll use qualitative and quantitative feedback to evolve these processes.
- Help to develop and manage programs (DE&I, L&D and recognition), and refine them as the team continues to scale.
- Manage process improvements, team documentation and provisioning of tools to ensure that our Designers, Researchers and Writers can effectively work towards team and company goals. Address blockers as needed.
- Work with cross-functional partners on identifying opportunities to accelerate the Design team.
- Take a ‘big picture’ approach when supporting and engaging the team, while still managing the details.
- Be an advocate for the Design team within and outside of Thumbtack.
- Build strong relationships with team members, as well as business partners across Thumbtack.
- Maintain the product testing device suite.
- Coordinate and deliver communications across the Design team and to the company.
- Coordinate team’s planning and social events (Happy Hours, Design Sprints, Offsites).
- Manage new hire onboarding process.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Passion for the Design and Research space and an eagerness to further their understanding of how these functions thrive and execute.
- 2+ years work experience, preferably in a design operations or program manager role.
- Clear, structured and proactive communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Attention to detail with strong teamanizational skills, with a pragmatic approach to executing on the big picture.
- Self-Led. Ability to effectively prioritize tasks, identify and address blockers, and push projects forward from beginning to end with minimal oversight.
- Proactively identifies problems and inefficiencies, and seeks to address them with an eye towards maintaining team momentum.
- Ability to quickly pivot focus to align with team needs, often anticipating changes.
- Excitement to build a cohesive and unified team culture.
- Previous experience in the Design Ops space or as a Design Program Manager.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.