Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Role
We are looking for a communications lead to support executive communications and employer branding. This is a cross-functional role working with the communications, recruiting, and people teams. You will have a seat at the table with senior leadership and a hand in helping to build our profile in San Francisco and Salt Lake City.
About the Team
Our team is developing stories about Thumbtack and sharing them with the world. We collaborate closely with our colleagues from engineering and product to brand and people while leveraging support from external agencies.
- Executive Communications: Partner with 2-4 Thumbtack executives to build and maintain thought leadership platforms. Partner with each department leader to identify topics and themes to speak about publicly, develop points of view to share, and craft talking points. Draft and/or oversee the development of blog posts and social posts.
- Industry Conferences & Earned Media: Partner with external agencies to develop executive speaking submissions as well as to create slide decks and scripts once panels and keynotes are confirmed. Package announcements and identify newsworthy stories to share externally.
- Employer Brand Building: Partner with communications and recruiting teams to scale content development, publication, and social sharing across our focus areas - engineering, recruiting, and life at Thumbtack. Work with team members and copywriters to create blog content. Lead social posting and sharing efforts to amplify content on LinkedIn and Glassdoor.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 8+ years working in public relations, journalism, social media, or related field
- Proven ability to define objectives, strategies and tasks without waiting for top-down direction, but also able to optimize based on feedback from manager and team
- Demonstrated success developing media programs, placing coverage, and measuring results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: this role will require creating messaging, talking points, and written materials on behalf of our leadership team
- Ability to advise and collaborate with senior leadership
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Experience working in a high-growth tech company
- Experience managing PR agencies and/or contractors
- Demonstrated capacity to self-motivate and drive programs independently and through partnerships with cross-functional teams
- Interest in helping to create original content, including video, with partner teams
- Passionate, mission-driven and inspiring brand advocate
More about us
Thumbtack is the leader in the local services marketplace that helps millions of people hire local professionals each year. With nearly 1,000 different categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros, too by helping them gain new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.