Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Brand Marketing Team
Thumbtack’s Brand Marketing team is a collaborative group of brand experts, producers, designers, copywriters, and content creators dedicated to bringing the Thumbtack brand to life while supporting the business goals of our partners—customer and pro marketing, to editorial, brand, product, events, and more. We work on a wide variety of outputs, from email and web design, to print, radio, reports, and even televisions ads. No matter what the medium, our goal is to create high quality, compelling creative that elevates our brand.
About the Role
As a Brand Design intern, you will be responsible for concepting and executing visual and digital design across a wide variety of channels and mediums. One week you could be working with an art director to shoot video content, the next week you could be assisting in the design of a microsite. You’ll collaborate with Senior Designers and copywriters on the Brand Marketing team and partner cross-functionally to bring our brand to life to the many pros (250,000 and counting!) who use our platform. We’re looking for a hungry, resourceful and talented person who can deliver on-brand, effective creative and effectively collaborate with a large and diverse team of partners across the Thumbtack organization. This will be a 35-40 hour/week, 4-month position based in our San Francisco office.
You love to make. You love the details. You’re passionate about the way design can tell a story and create clarity. You embrace ambiguity and are totally self-motivated. You know how to partner effectively with other designers and non-designers alike. You have experience working in a variety of different mediums, from print to digital, and value consistency across all experiences. You also like free food and beer.
“If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.”
- Working toward a design-related degree.
- Strong portfolio featuring examples of visual work—both digital and print. Highly skilled in Sketch/Figma, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Detail-oriented and organized, with experience using Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Slides, along with Keynote.
- Great attention to detail in typography, composition and craft, with a knack for visual storytelling.
- Strong people skills—both written and verbal—with the ability to work with a variety of diverse partners.
- Self starter with a proactive and creative mindset, ready to collaborate.
- High energy with a kickass, positive attitude!
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience with photography or video—either professional or personal—is a plus.
- Work closely with the Senior Designer—along with other designers, writers, producers, and strategists—to concept and create visual design solutions.
- Design, design, design some more.
- Create design presentations that are supported by well crafted and strategically sound design executions.
- Present your work to a wide variety of stakeholders, from fellow designers to the Creative Director, and improve your work based on feedback.
- Manage multiple design projects at once, maintaining an organized system to ensure deadlines are met.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.