Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Product Partnerships team
The Product Partnerships team is working to accelerate Thumbtack in our mission to help everyone do their life’s work with joy and purpose. We do this by working with partner companies to envision and bring to life the next set of Thumbtack experiences. We are pursuing the opportunity to bring the best of Thumbtack - our pros - to other sites, apps, and contexts. For our pros, we look for ways to make using Thumbtack even more valuable for their businesses via partnerships and integrations.
About the Role
We’re looking for a Business Development Manager to help execute on our vision for Thumbtack’s partnership strategy. This is an exciting opportunity to shape Thumbtack’s partnerships efforts by doing first of a kind deals and creating a model for future partnerships. This person will partner with other product and go-to-market teams to develop strategy and prioritization. They will build and own our pipeline of potential partnership opportunities, building deep relationships, identifying and scoping high-impact partnership ideas, and helping negotiate contracts.
- In conjunction with Product and cross-functional partners, develop and execute on partnerships strategy for emerging investment areas for Thumbtack’s business
- Build and grow a pipeline of high-potential partners across different facets of the business, owning relationships from initial discovery to negotiations to launch
- Work closely with Product Development to scope high-impact partnership opportunities
- Collaborate with cross-functional teammates in Marketing, Operations, Product, Legal, Finance, etc to ensure effective deployment of partnerships
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- At least 4-6 years of experience in business development and partnerships
- Proven ability to manage a broad pipeline and to develop relationships, negotiate, and problem solve with external partners
- Strong track record of closing deals ranging from tactical, mid-size opportunities, to strategic, large and complex partners
- Strong analytical skills able to evaluate opportunities from strategic, brand, financial, and operational perspectives. SQL a plus.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with internal and external cross-functional teams to drive programs and/or products
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to think and communicate creatively, thoughtfully, and on your feet with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with the ability to thrive under minimal guidance and with a track record of success in highly collaborative, cross-functional teams.
- Strategic thinker and tactical executor able to shift from big picture to detailed operations on a dime
- Experience working on relationships and deals involving deep product integrations
- Experience in the local services space
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.