Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Customer Experience: Hire Team
CX Hire is a full-stack team that provides our customers with the tools and guidance needed to get their projects done. Through our work on messaging, notifications, app navigation, and reviews we make it easy for customers to talk to pros, find other pros if the first one isn’t the right one, manage their projects, and review their pros once their project is complete.
About the Role
In this role you will be leading the engineering team directly responsible for the post-contact customer experience on our platform. Thumbtack is rapidly growing customer demand and this role allows you to have a direct impact on the success of the company by making sure we fulfill a key promise to customers: that they can get their projects done through us.
The team is highly interdisciplinary, encompassing engineers with a variety of skill sets including frontend engineering, native mobile, and backend engineering. In this role, you’ll not only partner with product, design, and marketing leads to develop and execute on a customer strategy for Thumbtack, but also help build critical infrastructure and systems that power that core experience and enable the team to move fast.
- Build and grow an amazing engineering team with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast. Work with engineering leads within the team as well as cross functional leads (including product, marketing, analytics, and design) to craft a compelling vision and long term strategy for our customer experience.
- Manage large projects spanning cross-functional teams outside of just engineering.
- Hire and support senior engineers and technical leads within the team to be able to scale the organization in the coming months to achieve aggressive goals.
- Mentor both junior and senior members of the team and guide their career growth and development.
- Bring technical expertise and judgment to the team. Provide guidance on how to build systems the right way at scale.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced environment.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Experience in an engineering management role.
- 6-8+ years of experience building software at scale.
- Experience building and scaling strong engineering teams.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passionate about technology and not afraid to write code.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Experience at a growth-stage consumer tech company.
- Experience with a marketplace business.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.