Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Growth Marketing Team
Growth Marketing at Thumbtack is at the intersection of marketing, data, and technology. We are agile and flexible, we move fast, and we partner with our cross-functional teammates (Brand, Engineering, Product, Analytics) to drive growth on both sides of Thumbtack’s marketplace.
About the Role
As Thumbtack strives to build a branded destination for local professional services, we need to meet new customers where they are. Right now that place is Search. The Growth Marketing Manager, SEM will lead Thumbtack’s efforts to capture customer demand for local services, while working with Analytics to calculate lifetime value and payback targets, partnering with Engineering to build data pipelines that support bid automation and new tools for ad creation at scale, and collaborating with the larger Growth Marketing team to build effective full-funnel marketing programs.
- Define & improve Thumbtack’s paid search strategy, identifying new opportunities for customer growth
- Manage, optimize, and grow the existing customer SEM program, across both Google & Bing, while adhering to KPIs
- Develop & test best-in-class ad copy, in partnership with Thumbtack’s Brand Marketing team and vendors
- Implement keyword expansion, optimize Dynamic Search Ads, and manage automated bidding strategies
- Own the tracking, attribution, and measurement of performance metrics (ROAS, incrementality, lift, etc.) using a combination of in-house and third-party data
- Build and maintain relationships with vendors and ad partners that can support Thumbtack’s growth
- Collaborate with cross-functional growth team members and communicate SEM results & key insights to the broader team
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4-6 years direct experience in paid digital advertising, at least 2-3 years managing SEM specifically, with a proven track record of scaling ad programs with specific conversion volume and efficiency goals
- Demonstrated experience improving performance of SEM campaigns through testing, optimization, automation, and creative
- Ability to manage relationships with a large portfolio of ad vendors and partners
- Ability to define and execute on a 6-12 month roadmap with aggressive milestones
- Ability to thrive within a fast paced, high stakes but incredibly supportive Growth Marketing team
- Strong data analytics skills (pivot tables, vlookups, basic modeling) and proficiency with SQL (JOIN, subqueries, etc.)
- Clear, concise communication style and comfort working with a diverse group of people.
- BA / BS degree. Focus in marketing or quantitative discipline (Statistics, Business, Economics) preferred
- Experience with Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Experience with other digital marketing channels
- Experience in a two-sided marketplace app/company
- Experience at a high growth tech company
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.