Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this every day.
We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits from fully-paid health insurance, to providing top-notch food from our in-house culinary team.
About the Role
As Thumbtack continues to grow, we need an incredible Chief of Staff to partner with the VP People to help deliver one of the most rewarding employee experiences in the industry. As a thought partner to the VP People, you will help define and implement the People strategy, and drive operations across the 80-strong People Team to make this the best place to work.
You are a strategic operator, whose focus on detail and ability to get stuff done means we never miss a beat. You see the big picture, and know how to translate that into action. You know how to solicit feedback, and still have your own perspective.
We want your help to shape the future of the People function at Thumbtack, and help us continue to push the envelope as an industry leader. You want to make a difference, and we will make it happen.
- Planning: Lead People Team strategy and OKR planning. Lead the continual tracking and refinement of the People Team plan. Make sure the ‘trains run on time’.
- Partnership: Be a close partner with key leaders across the company including our co-founder and CEO, company Chief of Staff, Thumbtack leadership team, People leadership team and so many more. Share your ideas. Help bring them to life.
- Leadership: Drive forums such as the People leadership meeting, People Team content for our Board our Company All-Hands (we call them “All-Thumbs”), and many others.
- Strategic projects: Lead some of our most important strategic projects, for example, a six month company-wide sprint to embed our company values into all of our People philosophies and processes, or lead our site strategy as we continue to expand.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 6+ years of experience managing operations; this comes in many forms, including consulting.
- Detail and action-oriented, while understanding how to connect the dots.
- Clear, structured communicator.
- Track record of achievement.
- Understanding of the People or HR space ideal.
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $420 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.