Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1T in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Creative team.
We’re a tight-knit, collaborative group on a mission to make Thumbtack famous. You’ll lead a team of world class Brand Designers, and work closely with writers, producers and brand managers to develop campaigns for both sides of the marketplace – customer and pro. Champion of the brand look and feel, you’ll build alongside stakeholders in product, marketing and support -- to create and maintain a cohesive brand across all touchpoints of the Thumbtack product and service experience.
About the role.
We’re looking for an experienced manager who also loves to dig in and get their hands dirty. You’re just as comfortable leading a concepting session for a series of video ads or art directing a spot illustration or mapping out an in-product marketing experience.
We need someone who loves the challenge of creative people management. You know what it takes to keep a team engaged in their work, and able to see how their individual contributions connect to the bigger picture -- the company, and beyond. You know that your success hinges upon the success of your team, and you’re passionate and proactive about supporting them, coaching them, offering critical yet constructive feedback, and leading from behind.
- You’ll work alongside other leaders of our Design organization, representing Brand Writing, Product Design, Product Writing and Production.
- You’ll bring a human-centered mentality to every challenge in every channel for our Customer and Pro audiences.
- You’ll provide design direction and coaching for the Brand Design team.
- You’ll build a collective team vision for the Brand Design team, and develop new tactics to realize it.
- You’ll motivate the team to deliver consistently high quality work, across mediums.
- You’ll constructively coach your team through their own professional development through formal and informal feedback sessions.
- You’ll partner with Producers to balance the workload and manage the resourcing of the Brand Design team.
- You’ll be responsible for creating an environment where rigorous critique is welcomed, but where psychological safety and creative openness is maintained.
- You and your team will support the People and Office Ops teams on company-culture initiatives that make Thumbtack one of the best places to work in the Bay Area. (No really, we’re not making that up. We’re one of the most innovative companies, too!)
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 2 years of creative management experience at an agency or in-house.
- You love developing cohesive yet flexible creative strategies that can play out across channels and mediums.
- You lead with passion and vision, and you can energize your team to deliver excellent results while keeping them happy and engaged.
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates strategic thinking, creativity and impressive design chops.
- You display a human-centered approach to design that’s inquisitive, strategic and well-reasoned.
- Superb attention to detail in typography, composition and craftsmanship.
- Reliable self-starter who can handle multiple projects with minimal oversight.
- Great presentation skills with the ability to explain your creative vision and listen to feedback.
- Expects the team to push new thinking and expand new interpretations of the brand expression to meet ever-changing company demands.
- Friendly, supportive and collaborative. This is a strength-in-numbers kind of team; we make each other better.
More About Us.
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to wedding planners and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.