Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Analytics Team
Thumbtack’s Analytics team is a tight-knit group charged with empowering Thumbtack to use data to guide decisions. We collaborate with teams across the company on a wide variety of impactful projects; everything from exploring click-level data on user experiences to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance. This role is about so much more than creating dashboards - it’s telling the story of our business in a way that inspires action.
About the Role
Product Analysts at Thumbtack are empowered early on to leverage their critical thinking, interpersonal, and technical skills to make a positive impact on the company. Analysts embed with product teams to support new product feature launches, study the economics of our massive and dynamic marketplace, and help inform strategy. As a Product Analyst, you’ll be the person responsible for all the analytical needs of an entire team of engineers, designers, and product/marketing managers -- helping empower the team and Thumbtack more broadly to build the best product, as quickly as possible.
Team members’ personal and professional development is a priority for us, and this role is excellent preparation for other analytical and strategic positions in tech. We have a solid track record of preparing team members not only for more senior responsibilities in analytics, but also for diverse roles across product, data science, and marketing.
- Partner with product, growth, marketing, data science, and operations teams to conduct in-depth quantitative analyses that guide strategic decisions
- Explore, hypothesize about, and draw high-impact business insights and recommendations based on detailed analysis and a deep understanding of our product
- Help Thumbtack rigorously learn about our users through designing and analyzing A/B tests, market-based experiments, etc.
- Build and maintain reports, models, and visualizations which provide insight into users experiences and business performance
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through accessible data table design, peer collaboration, coaching, and more
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Passion for problem-solving and critical thinking
- Enthusiasm for data
- Sharp business judgement and the ability to see past the noise
- Strong communicator, attentive listener and compelling explainer
- Graduating with BA/BS degree by June 2020
- Proficiency using Excel, Google Sheets, etc. OR a programming language to analyze large datasets
- Majoring in Economics, Math, Statistics, Computer Science, or other science-related/quantitative field
- Proficiency in SQL, Python, R, SPSS, Stata, Matlab, etc.
- Familiarity with Statistics, Experimental Design and/or Analysis, or Modeling/Machine Learning
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.