Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We believe that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this everyday.
We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits from education and wellness, to providing top-notch food from our in-house culinary team.
About the Role
The Learning & Development Specialist is responsible for creating and delivering programs that address the development of our employees. You will have a passion for identifying development opportunities for our employees, managers, and leaders. You will be committed to delivering impactful programs that help our employees do their best work. You will partner with other People teams and departments to find scalable solutions that integrate with other workstreams.
Thumbtack is growing fast. To help support our teams, we’re working hard to create a best-in-class learning culture and performance support system within Thumbtack. You’ll play a key role in helping us achieve this vision. You’ll think about how learning supports and connects to our larger organizational culture, how learning moments of all types influence team members’ success and engagement level, and how we make learning and improvement a continuous process, not an occasional event.
- Be the primary driver of learning & development programs in our San Francisco office (HQ)
- Facilitate in-person trainings in San Francisco (onboarding, manager training, etc.)
- Partner with global team members to determine and execute L&D strategy. Specifically own onboarding for all new employees.
- Develop, design, and create engaging learning experiences to educate and support employee development and strengthen company culture
- Communicate and engage internals stakeholders to drive alignment of L&D initiatives across the organization
- Identify areas for improvement and develop scalable learning solutions- utilizing in-person and eLearning in impactful ways
- Uphold and champion a culture of learning at Thumbtack
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 4+ years of learning and development related experience
- Strong experience identifying learning needs and designing scalable solutions that are support organizational goals
- Strong cross-functional teamwork and project management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience designing company wide onboarding
- Experience working in a rapidly growing tech company
- M.A. in Organizational Development, Instructional Design, Talent Development, or related fields
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.