Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the People Team
Our People team believes in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything; and we are inspired by this every day.
We do this by crafting an employee experience that starts from hiring incredible people, investing in their development, and providing a holistic approach to benefits from fully-paid health insurance, to providing top-notch food from our in-house culinary team.
About the Role
Thumbtack’s headquarters is located in San Francisco with offices in Salt Lake City and Manila. This role will sit in the Salt Lake City office and support the Customer Support and Trust and Safety organizations.
Our People programs and initiatives are only effective if we can be leaders in how our company operates, and seamlessly integrate them into how our business works. That’s where a People Business Partner like you comes in.
The People Business Partner (PBP) position is responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management in designated business units. In many companies, the role is referred to as HRBP. The position serves as a consultant to management on human resource-related issues. The successful PBP acts as an employee champion and change agent. The position formulates partnerships across the People Ops function to deliver value-added service to management and team members that reflects the business objectives of the organization. The PBP maintains an effective level of business literacy about the business unit's financial position, its midrange plans, its culture, and its competition. This role is intended to be solution-focused, and partner with and advise the business, without being “the HR police.”
- Be a trusted partner for the Customer Support and Trust & Safety Organizations. Be a collaborative partner that has a strong pulse of the SLC office, a trusted partner to employees and leaders, and an influencer and point of contact for business partner related topics including performance concerns, employee complaints, organization structure, etc.
- Provide thought partnership. Be a trusted thought partner with our Customer Support and Trust & Safety leadership teams to deeply understand the business and solve complex issues through a people lens. Using a data-driven approach, develop a short and long term People plan for the organization to ensure we continue to scale and achieve ambitious goals.
- Provide expertise in key people domains. Partner with the business in areas including org design, employee engagement, performance management, employee relations, and key interfaces with total rewards, learning and development, recruiting etc., with ease, finding the right balance between what’s right for the employee and Thumbtack. Be a confidant and coach across CS & MTS teams, to drive individual development, continuous improvement, and high performing teams.
- Drive change while partnering with People Programs. Contribute to the design and lead the rollout of key people programs (e.g., engagement action planning, performance management, compensation planning, development etc.) for the CS & MTS teams, while also influencing the continuous improvement of these programs.
- Be a leader, and help us build. Provide a key interface between the People Teams and the CS & MTS organizations; ensuring People programs and activities are integrated into the way the business operates and client insights are leveraged to influence the development of People programs. Anticipate and contribute to developing frameworks and processes to help us scale quickly.
- Action-Oriented. Embody critical thinking skills required to make judgment calls when it relates to sensitive cases and performance issues. Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, and enthusiasm. Provide thorough, unbiased observations and recommendations collected in investigations.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5-7 years of HR business partner or HR generalist management experience
- Experience with: employee relations, performance management, coaching, partnering with leaders, in-depth knowledge of HR operations including compensation, benefits, systems, etc.
- Experience working in tech companies or a marketplace
- Experience in a high-growth environment, with an emphasis on building and scaling teams
- Experience supporting a call center environment
- Experience supporting risk or trust & safety teams
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.