Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Pro Growth Team
The Pro Growth team is responsible for growing the base of active professionals on Thumbtack. These professionals are the backbone of the platform since they are the ones who can do the jobs that the customers are trying to get done. Pros find Thumbtack through a variety of channels including search ads (SEM), social ads (e.g. Facebook) and word of mouth. Once they do come to the platform, it is important to onboard and activate them so that they can be successful and grow their business on Thumbtack. And finally, we need to make sure to provide them the features and incentives to retain them on the platform. This team owns all the experiences and product features related to acquisition, activation and retention of pros.
About the Role
Growth is the lifeblood of any startup, and in this role you will be leading the engineering team directly responsible for pro growth on the platform. Thumbtack is rapidly growing demand on the customer side, this role allows you to generate the supply to meet that demand, which will have a direct impact on the success of the company.
The team is highly interdisciplinary, encompassing engineers with a variety of skill sets including frontend engineering, native mobile and backend engineering. In this role, you’ll not only partner with product, design and marketing leads to develop and execute on a growth strategy for Thumbtack, but also help build critical infrastructure and systems that power that growth and enable the team to move fast.
- Build and grow an amazing engineering team with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast. Work with engineering leads within the team as well as cross functional leads (including product, marketing, analytics and design) to craft a compelling vision and long term strategy for growth.
- Ability to manage large projects spanning cross-functional teams outside of just engineering.
- Hire and support senior engineers and technical leads within the team to be able to scale the organization in the coming months to achieve aggressive growth goals.
- Mentor both junior and senior members of the team and guide their career growth and development.
- Bring technical expertise and judgment to the team. Provide guidance on how to build systems the right way at scale.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a high paced growth environment.
- Experience in an engineering management role..
- 6-8+ years of experience building software at scale.
- Experience building and scaling strong engineering teams.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passionate about technology and not afraid to write code.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Experience at a growth-stage consumer tech company.
- Experience with a marketplace business.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.