Analytics Infrastructure Lead, San Francisco, CA
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Analytics Team
Thumbtack’s Analytics team is a tight-knit group charged with empowering Thumbtack to use data to guide decisions. We collaborate with teams across the company on a wide variety of impactful projects; everything from exploring click-level data on user experiences to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance.
About the Role
Our data comes in various shapes and forms. Your role is to understand it, transform it and make it easier for a team of 50+ analysts to extract insights from it. You will own end-to-end solutions for data and analytics, from defining tracking standards, to building ETL pipelines, to training the broader team on how to work with our data. You will set the roadmap for our analytics infrastructure, in collaboration with analytics, engineering, and product stakeholders. You will be the inaugural member of our Analytics Infrastructure team that sits between Analytics and Data Engineering. You will be expected to build a team over time. You are passionate about data quality.
- Design, build, and launch new SQL pipelines that enable analysis influencing critical product/business decisions
- Transform raw data into a digestible analytics layer that hundreds of employees use daily
- Define tracking standards for back-end and front-end events and across all web and native clients
- Help us consolidate hundreds of dashboards into a dozen by creating simple, scalable tools and BI infrastructure
- Manage and grow team knowledge base of data pipelines, table definitions, frequently-run queries, best practices and associated processes
- Be a champion of data hygiene, lead by example on data quality and inspire everyone to do the same
- Train 50+ analysts on various data topics including our data model and pipelines, table design, SQL tuning, monitoring, tracking
- Own relationship with external analytics vendors including Mode and Tableau
- Understand the needs of the Analytics team and partner with Engineering to prioritize, build and implement data products that meet them
“If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.”
- 5+ years of experience in data warehousing, ETL, business intelligence, data engineering
- Experience designing, architecting, and maintaining a data warehouse that seamlessly stitches together data from production databases, clickstream event data, and external APIs to serve teams of analysts
- Experience defining tracking requirements across a large number of product development stakeholders
- Able to teach data concepts to both analysts and non-analysts
- Excellent SQL skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally
- Experience working directly with or within analytics teams
- Experience in an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company
- Experience with the Google Cloud Platform and BigQuery
- Experience building data pipelines
- You’ve built automated alerting systems before
- Some knowledge of statistics
- Familiarity with GitHub
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $370 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.