Product Strategy and Operations: Category Manager
San Francisco, CA
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives - from house cleaners, to yoga instructors, to general contractors, we’re helping small businesses grow and thrive. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Category Management team
Thumbtack’s Category Management team creates a product experience tailored to our nearly 1000 service categories in our marketplace. This category-level customization inspires confidence in our users, which in turn helps our customers get more projects done, and our pros connect with the right customers for their businesses. We dive deep into user needs in each category and use our expertise to develop, roll out, and manage category-specific product features.
About the role
As a Category Manager (Product Strategy and Operations), you will be responsible for deeply understanding customer and pro needs and behaviors and translating that understanding into tangible product features improvements to improve the customer and pro experience. As part of the Product organization, you will partner heavily with rest of Category Management and other Product teams to scope and develop category-specific features.
- Analyze key business metrics and customer and pro behavior across Thumbtack’s categories to develop category expertise, and identify greatest opportunities for product improvements
- Define and implement category-specific product improvements (such as customer request forms and tools that allow professionals to represent their prices); track and refine to ensure success
- Collaborate with broader category management and product teams, including CM and Product leadership, to scope and execute against category-specific product and strategic initiatives
- 2-5 years of post-undergraduate work experience, preferably in: consumer or enterprise technology, consulting, and/or finance
- Data-driven: has advanced excel skills and willingness to learn SQL queries
- Analytical problem solver: ability to generate and synthesize insights from quantitative and qualitative data; ability to prioritize insights and translate into practical product improvements
- Deep user empathy: ability to structure and distill qualitative research (surveys, interviews, etc); ability to trade off customer and pro needs
- Bias for action: ability to take ownership, move quickly, and make everyday count; not afraid to test and pivot
- Team player: ability to collaborate with the broader Category Management team, and cross-functionally with Product, Eng, Ops, Marketing
- Experience in an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company
- Experience in strategy or product-related roles
- Expertise in or passion for specific Thumbtack categories
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, Google Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.