Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives — helping people plan their perfect wedding, families improve their homes, and small businesses grow and thrive. Thumbtack today has 1,100+ types of services, millions of customer requests, and hundreds of thousands of paying professionals. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Marketplace Trust & Safety Team
The Marketplace Trust & Safety Team works on some of Thumbtack’s most interesting and challenging issues. We pride ourselves on providing a safe, high-quality experience for Thumbtack pros and their customers. Our team leverages technical, design, and operational solutions to promote trust on Thumbtack. We are developing cutting-edge strategies to mitigate risks to our users both online and in the real world. Thumbtack’s success is dependent on gaining and maintaining the trust of the customers and professionals that use the platform.
About the Role
As an intern for Thumbtack’s Proactive Marketplace Trust and Safety team you’ll help design and implement solutions to fraud and risk challenges we face on our platform. You’ll produce pivotal data analysis on trust and safety trends and assist in implementing business-aligned risk management processes that help keep our platform safe with a continuous focus on improving the value of Thumbtack.
- Support the Marketplace Trust & Safety Team to improve the safety and quality of the Thumbtack experience for both professionals and customers.
- Proactively analyze trends and recommend action to close process gaps based on your findings
- Provide feedback on processes to assist with the root cause analysis of processes trends and risk mitigation
- Identify areas for trust and safety policy improvement within operations by working closely with operations and analytic teams.
- Develop analytics and analyze data to detect, monitor and predict risk
- Develop data-driven policies and processes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of MTS engineering and operational efforts.
- Conduct reviews on operational processes to ensure quality and provide feedback to our engineering and data science teams.
- Balance multiple projects at the same time.
- Demonstrate strong written and oral communication by creating data visualizations and presentations on analytical findings and recommendations, and by providing regular updates to stakeholders.
- Perform other related duties as requested
- Ability to work independently and self-manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- 1+ years of SQL or other query languages experience
- Experience using advanced Excel functions or Google Sheets
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Currently pursuing graduate or undergraduate degree in related field (e.g. Finance, Strategy, Business Analytics, Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics)
- Previous experience in one of the following fields: fraud, risk, consulting, data analysis, or operations.
- Experience creating a complex process and teaching others how to run it.
- Project management experience.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.