Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Community Team
The Community team works to connect our pros to each other, so that they can share experiences, support, help and advice in order to build thriving businesses on Thumbtack, together. Our work includes both online and in-person community efforts. We are at the cutting edge of building deep and engaging relationships between pros that help to drive key business metrics and achieve overarching company goals.
About the Role
In this role, you will play a pivotal part in owning and evolving our in-person events strategy. With ambitious goals for pro events in 2019 and beyond, you will be responsible for helping to make these events a reality. In practice, this means setting a vision for what our pros will achieve at our events, how our pros and employees will interact with each other, and how we will move the needle on key business metrics. It will be your responsibility to oversee the creation of all event content (talk tracks for presentations, etc.) and event collateral (swag, handouts, etc.), partnering closely with our Product, Product Marketing, and Brand Marketing teams along the way. You will also serve as the key point-of-contact for the entire organization in the run up to any and all events, helping to shape employee involvement and volunteer opportunities. Overseeing events of all sizes and formats - from small, intimate meet-ups to our large, annual, capstone event - you will travel the country to help bring our small business owners together and connect them to each other.
- Develop and own the overarching strategy for all Thumbtack-hosted events, including:
- Helping to decide when and where we should host events, as part of broader organizational efforts to influence pro supply, pro quality and pro engagement
- Helping to decide the format of each of our events and the key messages that need to be conveyed
- Defining success for each event, measuring impact, and tracking key metrics
- Collaborating closely with other teams (Comms, Policy) to ensure we’re achieving broader company objectives with each visit to a given market
- Partner with key leaders to develop and own an overarching external affairs calendar
- Ensure the successful execution of each Thumbtack-hosted event, including management of team currently working on event logistics
- Drive employee involvement at Thumbtack-hosted events, including:
- Deciding how many employees we need at each event, which teams we should draw from, and what their roles at the event should be
- Partnering on the necessary internal comms
- Share out learnings from Thumbtack-hosted events with relevant teams and the broader company, to ensure that those not in attendance still benefit
- Identify opportunities for content creation at our Thumbtack-hosted events (video testimonials, etc.) and partner with relevant teams to drive forward
- Serve as a key leader and point-person in the planning and execution of our annual Self Made capstone event
- Serve as key partner for Online Community Manager to ensure meaningful integration of our community channels and a seamless experience for our pros
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Strong strategic skills, with a passion for whitespace thinking
- Creativity and an ability to think outside of the box
- Incredible attention to detail
- Strong project management skills, with a laser-focus on deadlines
- Interest and skill in building new systems and processes
- Impeccable communication skills, both written and verbal
- Eagerness to build cross-functional relationships and buy-in
- Excitement about our pro community and a passion for in-person events as a way to connect our pros to each other
- Experience with data analytics and familiarity with SQL
- Experience working with small businesses and/or a passion for small businesses and helping them succeed
- Experience creating and launching external content and communications
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Capital G.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.