Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge $700B in the US alone but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the People Programs Team
Our team’s mission is to empower employees with the knowledge and support they need to find success and well-being at work. We are constantly seeking to help our employees do life’s work with joy and purpose. And we do it through programs in Diversity & Inclusion, Learning & Development, Engagement & Performance Management.
We dream of helping establish Thumbtack as a global leader in people development by testing and implementing innovative, human-centric programs.
About the Role
This 12 week summer internship at Thumbtack isn’t about research - you will be building and implementing programs that directly impact employees. This summer, we are looking for someone who will partner with us to improve our people programs based on the latest results of our employee engagement survey.
We will match your project to the survey results and your interests, but it could include designing effective recognition programs, improving decision making across teams, creating a culture of consistent and real time feedback or discovering ways to support productive teaming.
You will have a passion for identifying development opportunities for our employees, managers, and leaders. You will be committed to discovering simple, transparent and fair programs that address business needs and directly impact employee retention, happiness, and engagement.
- Based on employee engagement survey results, develop and implement a recommendation that directly impacts employees
- Partner with Performance Management, Learning & Development, People Analytics, and Diversity & Inclusion leaders on projects as needed
- Identify other opportunities and programs where you would like to learn more about how we implement and drive engagement across the entire employee lifecycle
- Graduate level work in business, organizational behavior, organizational design, organizational psychology, Industrial Relations or Human Resources
- 2+ years of organizational development or HR experience
- Experience developing and implementing effective people programs with a focus on engagement, retention, and development success metrics
- Strong cross-functional teamwork and project management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with survey administration or qualitative data analysis
- Experience designing and delivering training
- Experience designing or delivering performance management for exempt and nonexempt employees in multiple global locations
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.