Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Community Team
The Community team works to connect our pros to each other, so that they can share experiences, support, help and advice in order to build thriving businesses on Thumbtack, together. Our work includes both online and in-person community efforts. We are at the cutting edge of building deep and engaging relationships between pros that help to drive key business metrics and achieve overarching company goals.
About the Role
In this role, you will serve as the strategic owner of our online Community platform (community.thumbtack.com). With ambitious goals for 2019 and beyond, you will be responsible for driving traffic, increasing engagement, and measuring impact. In practice, this means developing a robust content calendar to ensure our pros get all of the information and inspiration they need to be successful. It also means serving as the main point-of-contact and channel owner for the organization, working closely with Product and Product Marketing to identify critical product changes and new product features to communicate to pros through the Community. You will also be responsible for soliciting, synthesizing, and sharing back to relevant teams all pro feedback. Our online Community has grown incredibly quickly in its inaugural year. It will be your job to build upon that momentum and take our online efforts to the next level.
- Develop and own the overarching strategy for our online community, including:
- Creating and executing on a robust content calendar, partnering with the relevant teams and stakeholders to bring that content to life
- Conceptualizing and executing on new ways to use the online community and integrate it with other teams’ objectives
- Serve as the channel owner for our online community, aligning with other teams on the key messages and updates that need to be shared in our community and owning those communications
- Oversee community moderation and adherence to our community guidelines
- Own any and all improvements (UX/UI, etc.) to the online community platform
- Drive opportunities for employees to interact with our pros online, serving as a strategic partner to bring these opportunities to fruition
- Synthesize and share pro feedback gathered online, serving as the voice of our pros in key conversations informing product and marketing roadmaps
- Drive, measure and track key metrics for community health and operational excellence, proving the value and impact of our online community efforts
- Identify and develop opportunities for deeper integration of the online platform with product, other channels / platforms, and other pro-facing touchpoints
- Own the growth of the community, identifying both opportunities to experiment / pilot new projects and also scale successful projects
- Serve as key partner for Events Manager to ensure meaningful integration of our community channels and a seamless experience for our pros
- 4+ years of work experience
- Strong strategic skills, with a passion for whitespace thinking
- An analytical mindset and willingness to dive into the data
- Creativity and an ability to think outside of the box
- Interest in building new systems and processes
- Impeccable communication skills, both written and verbal
- Eagerness to build cross-functional relationships and buy-in
- Interest in both Product and Marketing
- Excitement about our pro community and a passion for online community as a way to connect our pros to each other
- Experience with data analytics and familiarity with SQL
- Experience working with small businesses and/or a passion for small businesses and helping them succeed
- Experience creating and launching external content and communications
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Capital G.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.