Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Culinary Team
The Thumbtack kitchen prepares three nutritious, balanced and seasonally inspired meals per day, using primarily locally grown and sustainably sourced ingredients. We are passionate about providing delicious, healthy, and balanced meals and love the role that food plays in bringing the Thumbtack community together on a daily basis. We believe that sharing meals around quality food builds an environment that encourages collaboration and celebrates excellence.
The culture of our kitchen is playful, joyous and creative and we strive to challenge each other and ourselves to prepare the best food possible. We enjoy cooking from our roots as well as taking risks and trying new things.
This is an important role that is responsible for procuring top quality product in a high-volume kitchen. A collaborative and entrepreneurial position, this dynamic team-player will take the lead in vendor sourcing, receiving and relationship-building that sets our ingredient-focused kitchen apart. This person works closely with chefs to ensure that meals reflect the best of what local farms have to offer. This person is also responsible for maintaining high standards of cleanliness and organization in the kitchen as well as maintaining financial systems to track kitchen spending.
Ordering and Receiving
- Cultivate relationships with vendors, farmers, drivers and talent.
- Ensure orders are placed primarily with sources that reflect our ethos like independent farms and local craft specialists.
- Ensure proper receiving operations (proper labeling, organization, cleanliness, uphold health code standards, operate at maximum efficiency)
- Ensure all product is checked for accuracy against the invoice and actual order placed
- All product is checked for quality
- Clear and firm expectations set for our vendors
- Unacceptable product is returned, communicated with chefs involved, and replacement product is acquired if needed
- Stock, clean and organize refrigerators, walk-ins, freezers and dry storage areas
- Support & enforce zero waste efforts
- Ensure proper tracking of inventory to make sure product is utilized in a timely and efficient manner
- Take note of daily leftover product and communicating with the chefs and kitchen team about finding the proper outlets for re-utilization
- Responsible for tracking order levels from rotation to rotation in order to adjust pars to help ensure minimal waste
- Pack up and record all food that is donated or discarded
- Maintain and improve upon electronic record keeping systems to monitor inventory and pars (we use AirTable
- Organize and consolidate back-stock. Rotate and consolidate product based on freshness, space and need
- Maintain and clean equipment, shelving and refrigerators
- Educate, maintain and enforce health, safety, sanitation and food temperature requirements in accordance with local regulations and food program internal standards.
- Work with Accounts Payable to ensure all invoices are paid on time
- Maintain monthly financial records
- Work in AirTable platform to assist and optimize database capacity and usefulness for kitchen systems
- Collaborate with Chef to optimize financial record-keeping and budget systems
- Step into the kitchen as necessary to help with meal production and service
- Contribute ideas and solutions to make TACKitchen operate as well as possible
- Perform all aspects of position with efficiency, respect, friendliness, professionalism, teamwork, knowledge, patience, awareness, compassion, empathy, courtesy and initiative
- Represent TACKitchen professionally through effective communication, cooperation and relationships with all vendors, contractors and Thumbtack employees
- Collaborate with team to create a culture and work environment based upon respect; foster opportunities for team to learn, grow and develop in their abilities
- Maintain and enforce health, safety, sanitation and food temperature requirements in accordance with local regulations and our own internal standards
- Organize and maintain cleanliness of personal and shared prep and cooking space
- Ensure proper labeling and product rotation (FIFO)
- Show up to work and appointments on-time
- Act with integrity, honesty and knowledge that promotes the culture, values and mission of TACKitchen and the TACKitchen food program
- Offer positive solutions to problems or issues and be a voice that is part of the decision making team
- Exemplify and embody TACKitchen core values along with our department’s values, mission and vision on a daily basis
- Lead by example - demonstrate, train, repeat as necessary
- Teach, mentor and inspire staff to continually push to improve in daily performance, reach professional goals, and create a strong tight knit team
- Effectively communicate standards and expectations to team members
- Hold staff accountable to behavior and performance expectations
- Lead regular meetings with direct reports to monitor performance and progress
- Acknowledge performance, exceptional actions and milestones within the team
- Be introspective about management and how you can improve daily. Be open and responsive to food and team feedback
- For more information on Thumbtack company-wide leadership values check out this Thumbtack Philosophies document
- Receiving experience not necessary but certainly preferred
- Excellent knowledge of seasonality, local products, producers and farms
- 2+ years experience in a professional culinary environment with a passion for product, place and relationships
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
- Must be reliable, punctual and professional
- Must be able to follow directions, be trusted to work independently, and follow through with tasks/projects
- Flexibility and ingenuity. Must possess problem solving skills and the ability to adapt to change and overcome challenges
- Familiarity with raw, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, paleo and whole grain products a plus.
- Ability to reach, bend and frequently lift over 50lbs
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,