Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Product Design Team
We’re a tight-knit, collaborative, and highly iterative group. You’ll work closely with designers and product managers to launch and evolve product features. You’ll partner with User Research to gain insights from user feedback. You’ll work closely with Product Marketing to craft and deliver communications through the right channels at the best times. You’ll also sync regularly with other writers at Thumbtack to maintain a cohesive voice across all communications.
About the Role
We’re looking for a seasoned writer who has the analytical and problem-solving skills to work through complicated UI experiences on both mobile and web. As a product writer, you’ll be expected to create coherent, consistent messaging while passionately advocating for the needs of the user. Working closely with design and product marketing teams, you will influence product positioning and communication strategy.
As a product writer at Thumbtack, you will:
- Write clear and concise content across multiple touch points (including product names, navigational elements, emails, tutorials, and notifications)
- Help apply and maintain consistency in Thumbtack products, and evolve Thumbtack’s voice
- Use copy and content strategy to set expectations for the experience, remove barriers and cognitive roadblocks, and take users along our vision.
- Work closely with the product team to develop user-focused positioning and narratives in support of features and experiences
- Ensure voice and content consistency with marketing, content marketing, and customer support
- Identify opportunities for impactful A/B copy tests and participate in user interviews
- Collaborate on cross-functional teams with designers, data analysts, user researchers, engineers, product managers, and marketing team members
- Share your work with other product writers, provide feedback on their work, and contribute to the team through mentoring or onboarding
- Develop content frameworks and product narratives that explain your recommendations and help people understand the practice of product writing
- 5+ years of professional writing experience
- 2+ years of UX or product writing experience, ideally in a tech company
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience writing content for web/mobile products and developing style guides
- Experience writing and editing for consumer and ideally business audiences preferred
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with design, brand, marketing, and product partners
- Ability to articulate your rationale clearly
- Well-versed in identifying and communicating feature values to users
- Ability to work independently, juggle multiple work streams, and deliver copy on tight timelines
- Portfolio of writing samples
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.