Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers with the right professionals for anything they need done. Every day we rally around the impact Thumbtack has on people’s lives - from house cleaners, to yoga instructors to general contractors, we’re helping small businesses grow and thrive. Join our growing team in the quest to build THE destination for anything you need done.
About the Analytics Team
Thumbtack’s Analytics team is a tight-knit group charged with empowering Thumbtack to use data to inform decisions. We collaborate with teams across the entire company on projects which span everything from diving deep into click-level data to improve a product experience to developing series of metrics describing overall business health. This role is about so much more than just creating dashboards - it’s telling the story of our business in a way that inspires actions large and small.
About the Role
As a Manager leading our Marketplace Analytics team, you’ll be expected to develop a deep, nuanced understanding of how our markets operate. You’ll answer questions like how can we balance supply & demand across 1100+ service categories in every city in the country. You’ll become the go-to expert for questions on how changes in our product, users, and marketing efforts impact the overall health of our business. We’re looking for a skilled analyst and leader who can blend strong technical analyses with economic and behavioral insights to guide our business towards sustained growth. Over time, we’ll expect you to grow a team and serve as a role-model for sound decision-making, collaboration and inspired analysis.
- Oversee complex, technical projects and data warehousing to improve our understanding of marketplace dynamics
- Collaborate with Product, Marketing and Operations on diverse projects that span many of the foundational pieces of our marketplace, including monetization, matching the right pros to our customers, and the security of our marketplace
- Present compelling narratives which explain company-wide marketplace trends and be an integral voice in the product strategy for the Marketplace team
- Build robust, data-driven models that guide decision-making and inspire action
- Help grow, lead and inspire a team of world-class analysts
- BA/BS degree and exposure to Economics, Math, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science and/or Business.
- 5+ years experience working in analytics, data science, or a similarly quantitative role
- Proficient using SQL to query large data sets
- Proficient in experimentation, statistics, and statistical languages such as R or Python/Pandas
- Excellent communicator, attentive listener and compelling explainer
- Exemplary analytical problem solving skills, including strong business judgment and the ability to identify and synthesize insights from analysis
- Capable project manager, can juggle a set of diverse projects with a strong track record of working effectively cross-functionally and delivering high-quality work
- 2+ years of experience leading teams and developing other analysts
- Experience in an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company
- Advanced degree in Economics, Statistics, or Operations Research
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.