Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Product Design Team
We’re a tight-knit and highly-collaborative team of product writers, designers, and researchers working closely with engineers and product managers to launch and evolve product features. We collaborate regularly through design reviews, work sessions, and presentations to inspire and influence the direction of the product and company as a whole.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced writer and manager who can build a strong UX/Product Writing function at Thumbtack. This role is responsible for evolving and socializing the product writing vision across both our customer and pro experiences and is expected to collaborate closely with marketing, design, PM, and engineering leadership to define product strategy and priorities. We are looking for a manager who thrives on coaching and mentoring writers in their craft and career goals. And can comfortably shift between recruiting, team-building, writing, and strategizing.
- Mentor and manage a growing team of 4-8 Product Writers – including defining clear goals, prioritizing work, and building a culture that fosters trust and respect.
- Facilitate collaboration between writers, researchers, designers, and their project teams.
- Recruit, interview, and hire great Product Writers.
- Write and collaborate on mapping user flows that solve real user problems.
- Provide thoughtful feedback and coaching to members of the Product Writing team.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Product Marketing Managers, Engineering Managers, and Design Leads to define the product roadmap and quarterly goals.
- Iterate on the team’s execution process to improve quality, speed, and collaboration.
- Communicate your vision to other cross-functional product teams and senior leadership.
- Uphold a high bar for brand expression within our product experience – in partnership with the Brand Marketing team.
- 4+ years of experience working as part of a product writing, UX writing, or content strategy team
- 1+ year of experience managing product writers, UX writers, or content strategists
- User-centric approach to designing and writing user flows
- Emotional intelligence—the ability to truly understand what each individual on your team needs to thrive and feel fulfilled
- An inspiring portfolio of projects that showcases your writing approach, final copy, and impact
- A demonstrated ability to lead a project end-to-end and with a cross-functional team
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both written and oral)
- A track record of influencing product strategy
- A history of proactively driving process and solutions on ambiguous problem areas. Comfortable rolling up sleeves and working without formal requirement documents or top-down decisions.
- Experience writing or managing in a two-sided marketplace
- Previous experience in product or project management
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With nearly 1,000 different categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
- Recent Press:
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.