Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Business Analytics Team
The Business Analytics team’s mission is to unlock strategic opportunities and enable Thumbtack to achieve its full business potential. To accomplish this mission, we focus on:
- Strategic insights: Analytics to uncover insights that will be game-changers for our business, and that inform company strategy and team execution.
- Business performance: Metrics, dashboards, and forums that help us measure progress towards our goals and foster deep understanding of our business.
- Telling Thumbtack’s story: Using metrics and data visualization to tell Thumbtack’s story to investors, board members, our team, and the world.
- Building a world-class team: hiring the best, and investing in coaching, learning, and team building.
We are a tight-knit group that is passionate about driving business impact through analytics.
About the Role
As a leader on the Business Analytics team, you’ll drive insights and action across the breadth of the marketplace. You’ll be a steward of key company metrics and dashboards, and dive deep on analytical questions that are critical to Thumbtack’s success. You’ll partner with our leadership team to develop company strategy and goals, share performance updates with the Board, and work with teams across the business to drive actionable insights and business impact. This particular role will lead the team’s business performance work and manage and grow a team of Business Analysts.
- Define, measure, and track the key metrics that measure Thumbtack’s success
- Design and build key company data tables, dashboards, and insights tools that power decisions across the company, and evolve them as our product and business change
- Lead weekly and monthly business metrics reviews that illuminate areas of focus for the company
- Partner effectively with teams across the company, including Product, Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Finance, as well as Thumbtack’s leadership team
- Coach, inspire, and develop a team of talented analysts
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Economics, Business, Math, Statistics, or Computer Science
- 5+ years of experience in a highly analytical role, preferably with experience in tech analytics
- Proficiency using SQL to analyze large data sets, or excellent excel skills and readiness to learn and become proficient in SQL
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- Exemplary analytical problem solving skills, including strong business judgment and the ability to identify and synthesize insights from analysis
- Ability to work with company executives to understand the company’s business needs and drive decisions
- Experience managing direct reports
- Prior work experience at a marketplace
- Experience with R or Python
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With nearly 1,000 different categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.