Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Business Analytics Team
The Business Analytics team’s mission is to unlock strategic opportunities and enable Thumbtack to achieve its full business potential. To accomplish this mission, we focus on:
- Strategic insights: Analytics to uncover insights that will be game-changers for our business, and that inform company strategy and team execution.
- Business performance: Metrics, dashboards, and forums that help us measure progress towards our goals and foster deep understanding of our business.
- Telling Thumbtack’s story: Using metrics and data visualization to tell Thumbtack’s story to investors, board members, our team, and the world.
- Building a world-class team: hiring the best, and investing in coaching, learning, and team building.
We are a tight-knit group that is passionate about driving business impact through analytics.
About the Role
As a leader on the Business Analytics team, you’ll drive insights and action across the breadth of the marketplace. You’ll be a steward of key company metrics and dashboards, and dive deep on analytical questions that are critical to Thumbtack’s success. You’ll partner with our leadership team to develop company strategy and goals, share performance updates with the Board, and work with teams across the business to drive actionable insights and business impact. This particular role will lead the team’s business performance work and manage and grow a team of Business Analysts.
You’ll be a great fit for the team if:
- You’re extremely data-driven -- you love learning from data to make decisions, and always seem to have data at your fingertips
- You geek out on metrics and dashboards -- you enjoy tracking trends, and have a driving curiosity to understand what’s driving them
- You enjoy answering big questions with analysis, and diving deep to reveal insightful and actionable insights
- You’re passionate about measuring business impact, and drawing the connection between what teams are building and how it impacts company metrics
- You enjoy roles that enable you to understand the breadth of the business (vs. focusing on one specific area) and partner with people across the company
- You appreciate the power that analytics has to enable the company to reach its full potential
- Define, measure, and track the key metrics that measure Thumbtack’s success
- Design and build key company data tables, dashboards, and insights tools that power decisions across the company, and evolve them as our product and business change
- Lead weekly and monthly business metrics reviews that illuminate areas of focus for the company
- Partner effectively with teams across the company, including Product, Engineering, Marketing, Operations, Finance, as well as Thumbtack’s leadership team
- Coach, inspire, and develop a team of talented analysts
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Economics, Business, Math, Statistics, or Computer Science
- 5+ years of experience in a highly analytical role, preferably with experience in tech analytics
- Proficiency using SQL to analyze large data sets, or excellent excel skills and readiness to learn and become proficient in SQL
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- Exemplary analytical problem solving skills, including strong business judgment and the ability to identify and synthesize insights from analysis
- Ability to work with company executives to understand the company’s business needs and drive decisions
- Experience managing direct reports
- Prior work experience at a marketplace
- Experience with R or Python
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria above but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With nearly 1,000 different categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.